• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you put hot food in the fridge?

Do you put hot food in the fridge?

• Yes - it cools faster.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I let it cool some first, then it goes in the fridge.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Never - I wait until it gets room tempreture.

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Maybe/maybe not...depends on the food or if I am in a hurry.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Cheeseburgers - since there is no taco option!

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
in the canning industry the food goes from a pressure cook cycle to a pressure cool cycle to help take the heat out of the product before storage. Food that is allowed to cool on it's own does in fact start to grow bacteria. this is from the USDA Food safety and Inspection Service.

"Danger Zone" (40 °F - 140 °F)​

Leaving food out too long at room temperature can cause bacteria (such as Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella Enteritidis, Escherichia coli O157:H7, and Campylobacter) to grow to dangerous levels that can cause illness. Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 °F and 140 °F, doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. This range of temperatures is often called the "Danger Zone."

Keep Food Out of the "Danger Zone"

Never leave food out of refrigeration over 2 hours. If the temperature is above 90 °F, food should not be left out more than 1 hour.

• Keep hot food hot—at or above 140 °F. Place cooked food in chafing dishes, preheated steam tables, warming trays, and/or slow cookers.
  • Keep cold food cold—at or below 40 °F. Place food in containers on ice.
Cooking
Raw meat and poultry should always be cooked to a safe minimum internal temperature (see graphic). When roasting meat and poultry, use an oven temperature no lower than 325 °F.

If you aren't going to serve hot food right away, it's important to keep it at 140 °F or above.

Storing Leftovers
One of the most common causes of foodborne illness is improper cooling of cooked foods. Bacteria can be reintroduced to food after it is safely cooked. For this reason leftovers must be put in shallow containers for quick cooling and refrigerated at 40 °F or below within two hours.

(I put my foods in the kitchen sink and run cold water and sometimes an ice bath to help cool them initially before placing in the refrigerator. This helps to keep the refrigerator temp down. Bacteria grows even below 40 degrees, proof being the mold that grows on your food when left in the refrigerator for too long.)

Thermodynamically speaking it should cool off first.

My wife shoves it right in there.

She's not an engineer...
BC1C5EA9-27E1-4C4B-BA08-226FE429F491.gif

Back
Top Bottom