Do you make your firearms interests known?

Do you make your interests in firearms known?

• I'll talk guns with anyone and I have gun stickers/clothing I wear often

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • My friends know but I don't usually discuss the subject

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I don't tell anyone, just my family knows

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

Firewall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
To what level do you make your interest in firearms/shooting known?

Pretty much anyone I consider a friend knows I'm interested in guns of course, but I have changed how I handle co-workers over the years.

Two jobs ago (retail job in college) I was pretty open about it but ended up deciding I didn't like everyone knowing so much. Some reactions to it were just not good, I chalked it up to mostly immature co-workers (most of which were under 20). Some had a interest in firearms confused with being crazy/homicidal.

My last job I brought it up with a couple co-workers and it didn't cause any issues, infact I ended up going to the range with a couple of them. But for the most part I avoided the topic.

My current job is the kind of place that attracts a disproportionate amount of liberals. I just keep my mouth shut here. I guess I'm being a little paranoid but these days I just can't afford to have any issues at work. Only way someone there is going to find out is if someone see's me surfing gun forums, or I end up meeting them on here for a trade :-)

Besides perception problems, I consider it a safety issue as well. I mean if I were the type to steal a firearm, the car of someone who talks guns all day might be a good place to check. I also don't wear gun related clothing or have decals on my car.

But another part of me thinks this is part of the problem. Keeping this hidden makes it seems like gun owners are more of a minority than they really are, which I think hurts second amendment causes. The uninformed out there may not realize that most gun owners are "normal" people and likely their friends and coworkers.

So what do you do?

Last edited:
Treat it like religion and politics. Get an idea of the local waters first, then decide if you want to go swimming. At my job, my immediate co-workers are predominately open to gun discussions. My only real concern there is someone from a different department reporting something they half heard. All it takes is a suspicion of crazy these days, and you're out the door.

I don't go into detail. Like politics, I keep it out of casual conversation.

I did ride the elevator in my building at work with a copy of The Shooter's Bible in my hand. That was fun for about a week.

I talk about gun ownership to my friends and not so friends. I don't advertise that I am a gun nut, I prefer to blend into the crowd.

Probably don't matter much, I am prior military and it shows. I was accused of being a cop when I had shoulder length hair and lots of facial hair, about ten years before I crossed over to the dark side and pinned on the badge. LOL

Last edited:
I have GaCarry and NRA stickers on the back window of my truck as well as turkey footprints ,Springfield Armory/OLD GLORY stickers and a Confederate flag that says ''im offended that your offended''

I am self employed and most of my repeat customers know where I stand when it comes to God ,Country and the 2nd ammendment :usa::usa::usa: :laser:

I talk guns all the time at work, most of the guys I work with are into guns, so no big deal. I shoot/hunt with most of them anyway.

I wear gun shirts and hats and have gun stickers in the back window of my truck.

Don't talk about guns a whole lot, never know who may tell who, next thing you know youre house or truck get broken into and they take your guns.
Most of my "real" friends know.
Real friends are true and hard to come by.

Back
Top Bottom