• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Do all 9mm handgun for $450

FEG Hi-Power Clone?

:behindsofa:
Nothing wrong with those. Pretty good actually.

maxresdefault.jpg

Boomdad, I'd recommend a 4" to 4.5" barreled striker-fired, polymer-framed 9mm (or .40) with a double-column mag.
I'd choose a popular make and model--one with tons of accessories available anywhere for a reasonable price.
Such a gun will be good for casual target practice, action pistol games, and home defense.
For daily carry, it will be acceptable but not ideal. Too thick and, when fully loaded, a bit too heavy in my opinion.
Try to rent one before you buy that same kind. Or borrow one from a friend. Or if you see somebody shooting one you like at a public range, offer them $10 to run a magazine through it. Get one that fits your hand and has a trigger pull that you like.

Here are some random models I'd look at. This is NOT a comprehensive list. I'm sure there are other good ones, too.

FNS-9 ($479, but comes with 3 magazines!) http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/fn-usa-fns-9-9mm-semiautomatic-pistol

Springfield XD (4" service model) http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-series/ (Bud's Gun Shop lists them for $450.)

Ruger SR9 (model 3301, with a stainless steel upper). Bud's also sells these for $450.

S&W M&P 9 (full size model, 4.25" bbl.). Bass Pro has 'em for $525; you can probably find them for less if you need to pinch pennies.

Glock 17 or 19. Personally, I'd get the big 17 for the range and plan on later getting the sub-compact G26 for carry. You can use the 17's magazines in the smaller gun, and they'll have the same sights, the same trigger pull, etc. The training you do with one will make you better with the other.

After handling several full sized 9mm pistols at a few gun stores in the last week, I am really liking:

Ruger SR9

S&W M&P Pro

Springfield XDM (match)

And, as a second choice, the Glock 17 or 34. Both have a pretty long reach to the trigger that is about as far as my stubby booger-picking digit can handle.

Back
Top Bottom