• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Discolored Brass

Not normal at all. My brass looks new, brand new....too new really. It's so clean that when I anneal (rifle brass) it you can't even see the annealing line/color at the neck. I have to allow it to oxidize for a few months if I want that annealing to show.

Cheap dish liquid (6 second squirt) and Lemi-Shine (about two .45 ACP cases full) and 2.5 gallons of water in my tumbler is what I use. Hot water seems to work better than cold. I'll take video and show it.

This is the way

I also recommend washing the steel pins after a while using the same mix for the brass cases.

Sometimes the pins collect dirt/debris/powder and discoloration can occur and brass being cleaned don’t turn out as spiffy!

I tried some ceramic tumbling media in my wet tumbler last week. The ceramic media did a really good job of cleaning the brass inside, outside, and primer pockets. If there was what you might call a problem, it would have been the media not easily falling out of the brass. The stuff is light and with the brass still wet, it would stick to the inside. You just about have to pick up each piece of brass and look inside if it and shake the media out of it if stuck. I only had one piece of brass that had some media stuck sideways and had to be dug out. If mama knew I was using one of her fancy metal chopsticks to dig it out and using the air fryer to dry the stuff, I would probably be over there in the doghouse.

It seems to be more trouble that the SS pins, you can't use a magnet to pick it up, any loose pieces you drop has to be picked up individually with your fingers. As I said, it does a really good job BUT I doubt that I will use it often - just because it is a bigger PITA than the pins.

Oh yeah, here is a shot of the brass, before and after:
dirty-brass-jpg.302405
clean-brass-jpg.302411

. . . and a shot of the media I tried, I used only water, dawn, and these ceramic "pins":
media-jpg.302406

I do have a wet tumbler with SS Pins, but dont currently have any Lemishine etc for it.
I tumbled these in new walnut shell and then noticed the discoloration wouldnt go away do I add some case polisher additive to the walnut shell and still no improvement.
Lemi-Shine is available at Kroger, Walmart, etc. Easy to find if you want to use it.

I know this has gone around in a bit of a circle, but in post #2, OP shows us the discoloration to the brass. This is definitely dezincification, where an acid has leached zinc out of the brass, leaving a 'fresh' surface of brass with a higher concentraton of copper in it.

This happens when you expose brass to moderately concentrated acids, so I thought it's worth adding that if you do use lemishine/citric acid, don't fall into the trap of 'mo is better'. Also, keep the brass in the cleaning solution for as little time as possible, and when you're done, flush the brass with clean water and dry thoroughly.

Edit - a correction to my post earlier in the thread (https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/discolored-brass.3324839/page-2#post-14226060) that the more chemistry/metallurgical-aware people might have noted. I incorrectly stated that "ammonia leached zinc out of the brass" - that's so wrong it deserves an award, even for ODT - ammonia and ammonia compounds don't dezincify brass. What it appears to do is make brass weaker over time. Some research indicates that it makes the structure of the brass more brittle, but the net effect would be the same - shorter case life in extreme cases.

Back
Top Bottom