• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Diminished value once a car has damage on it's history?

The checks insurance dole out for diminished value are pathetic. You'll get tire kickers that will try to get 50% off. Realistically, I'd say 10% value drop.

This all varies widely.

My experience:

One car worth about 18k, they sent me a check for 154 dollars.

Another car worth about 14k, I got about 1500 dollars. I think I got more cause they never could get the trunk to close correctly, but said it was in spec. (State Farm)

Guy at work on a truck got 5-8k. (About 12 years ago on F150)

On my last truck..... brand new truck that was two months old got hit and they wouldn't give me anything (State farm)

Random information:

I have seen these people who will give you some paperwork, but the insurance company don't' seem to care. Lawyers don't' care, unless you have a RARE car or 100k+. Cause most layers want to take 1/3, and 1/3 of 1000 bucks isn't worth them writing a letter on your behalf.

Like most things in life the middle of the road normal people get squeezed from both ends. High GA car insurance premiums and no easy method (18C is a joke) to get DV. The 18C all state from GA wasn't set to the precedent, but a guideline in that one case, that formula is a joke, and that is where you get these checks form 100-200 dollars.

If you ever trade it in or sell private property, I know you will just eat it. If you have buying a used car, both cars are 15k, same miles, same everything, but one had 5k in damages and fixed, which one would you buy? If the car is older than 2 years, by law their don't even have to use OEM parts. So your buying a car with non OEM parts.

So I don't think anybody would argue you have have DV, the issue you need some paperwork from a dealer saying your trade is 15k, but since it was hit, trade is only 11k. But dealers most don't offer this service, as you can imagine they would be 100% full doing these claims and not getting paid. If you could find a dealer you could pay for a legit report that would be one thing, I have heard of some dealers, but never could find one.

The issue is proving the actually DV. How do you really prove unless you can sell the vehicle, then prove the wreck caused the DV. Very hard and I think the insurance knows it, cause if you go to court, how do you prove the actually number.

I personally think if you have a 40-50k truck you should get at least 4-5k, based on the fact your Carfax was DINGED, regardless of the severity of the accident.

So good luck, but these things seem to be an up hill battle.

Never settle for what the insurance pays you in diminished value. Do not cash the Check they send you. Hire a expert in diminished value claims. It is well worth the small fee they charge. There are some out there and the insurance companies hate them but they get you what you deserve.

So I've been avoiding getting aggravated about this so just let it simmer, but finally called today since it's been FORTY DAYS. Car is ready, nothing on diminished value. They offered to buy the car for about 55% of what they apparently sell for at Carmax/Carvana etc. (Which of course is below KBB/NADA) I told them that's not happening. Then I told them I'd accept them installing leather and tint. Again, not an expensive car and figured that would make me whole. They offered tint. :rolleyes:
Waiting on call from service director and if he doesn't agree to that, I'll make one call to their corporate office (Auto Nation) and then go after my insurance company to handle it. VERY aggravating. :censored:

So let's just say you bought a car that for years you went out of the way to keep absolutely pristine so you could give it to your son when he's ready (he's now ready). Let's also say you hate car dealers (to get that out of the way). And let's say you had to bring the car into the dealer for a reset that only their scanner could do. Let's also say that instead of being there 5 minutes, you were there over 3 hours because while they had your car in their service area, one of their employees backed another car into your car causing an estimated $4,700 in damage. So, you went from a car with literally never having a door ding, to one now having substantial repair (rear quarter panel and rear bumper replaced) on it's history.
I've asked multiple times about diminished value and I get deer in the headlights. Also got a non answer from my insurance company. I'm not looking to stick it to anybody (despite the aggravation this is causing) but don't want to be financially worse off at the end of the day because I brought it to THEIR place of business. :mad: It was supposed to be a 8-10 day repair. It's been a month and counting....

So anyone have a clue. I think an attorney friend mentioned 4-6% of value. :noidea:
Damn!
I’ve got nervous and upset just reading the entire ordeal you went thru and are going thru right now. I would talk to a lawyer; who knows, they might need to give you a brand new car now.

So let's just say you bought a car that for years you went out of the way to keep absolutely pristine so you could give it to your son when he's ready (he's now ready). Let's also say you hate car dealers (to get that out of the way). And let's say you had to bring the car into the dealer for a reset that only their scanner could do. Let's also say that instead of being there 5 minutes, you were there over 3 hours because while they had your car in their service area, one of their employees backed another car into your car causing an estimated $4,700 in damage. So, you went from a car with literally never having a door ding, to one now having substantial repair (rear quarter panel and rear bumper replaced) on it's history.
I've asked multiple times about diminished value and I get deer in the headlights. Also got a non answer from my insurance company. I'm not looking to stick it to anybody (despite the aggravation this is causing) but don't want to be financially worse off at the end of the day because I brought it to THEIR place of business. :mad: It was supposed to be a 8-10 day repair. It's been a month and counting....

So anyone have a clue. I think an attorney friend mentioned 4-6% of value. :noidea:

About 30 years ago my son had a 1966 Mustang in great condition and girl ran into the rear. Ins adjuster estimated damage around 800, so I took it to a Mustang specialty shop and they estimated about 1800. I call insurance and gave them the quote and mentioned one of the highly advertised TV lawyers and they paid up fast.

Check with some of the auto restorers and mention a well know lawyer and you should have no trouble. I would think way more than 4-6%. I would think 20% or more.

Back
Top Bottom