• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

DiamondBack Barrel BCG...

Spas-12 Owner

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
NRA Instructor and Chief RSO
565   0
Reaction score
Anyone with experience on their BCG's?

Is it the same company that makes the lower end AR?

I've got a line on them for @ $60 each for an overstock, which is $7 LESS then standard whole sale pricing. Just trying to figure out if worth it.

20240308_164125.jpg

What's wrong with a Nitride finish?

I like nitride as a finish in a lot of different AR applications, but not on the bolt and carrier.

Only company that I’ve ever seen that made a top quality BCG with nitride is Hodge.

Most companies machine carriers and keys with the assumption that on down the round they will be chrome-lined, which is spec. They machine the bores oversized so that the chrome finish make up the difference, and bring the ID’s to spec. When they’re not chrome-lined, but nitrided instead, they have a tendency to have inefficient gas seals in the carrier and/or the gas keys.

Nitrided 9310 bolts tend to be a lot more brittle than a C-158 bolt that’s been manganese phosphated, hard chromed, or NP3’ed.

My main complaint isn’t with the nitride finish itself, but with the fact that, with the exception of Hodge, every company I’m familiar with that uses nitride as their finish makes a crap BCG.

Stick with manganese phosphate, hard chrome, NP3, or Nanoweapon.

In my opinion, the BCG’s is the most important part of the AR. There are 8 stages in the cycle of operation of the AR family of weapons:

-firing
-unlocking
-extracting
-ejecting
-cocking
-feeding
-chambering
-locking

The BCG is the only part of the AR that is involved in all 8 stages. Don’t skimp on it.

I like nitride as a finish in a lot of different AR applications, but not on the bolt and carrier.

Only company that I’ve ever seen that made a top quality BCG with nitride is Hodge.

Most companies machine carriers and keys with the assumption that on down the round they will be chrome-lined, which is spec. They machine the bores oversized so that the chrome finish make up the difference, and bring the ID’s to spec. When they’re not chrome-lined, but nitrided instead, they have a tendency to have inefficient gas seals in the carrier and/or the gas keys.

Nitrided 9310 bolts tend to be a lot more brittle than a C-158 bolt that’s been manganese phosphated, hard chromed, or NP3’ed.

My main complaint isn’t with the nitride finish itself, but with the fact that, with the exception of Hodge, every company I’m familiar with that uses nitride as their finish makes a crap BCG.

Stick with manganese phosphate, hard chrome, NP3, or Nanoweapon.

In my opinion, the BCG’s is the most important part of the AR. There are 8 stages in the cycle of operation of the AR family of weapons:

-firing
-unlocking
-extracting
-ejecting
-cocking
-feeding
-chambering
-locking

The BCG is the only part of the AR that is involved in all 8 stages. Don’t skimp on it.

So it's a little more about it being the only finish then the finish itself? And the right kind of metal.

Back
Top Bottom