• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer shot placement for beginners

Keep in mind that it's harder to hit those spots with archery from a tree especially with a scope on a crossbow and just the same with a scoped rifle when they're right under your tree.

Best to practice extensively from your tree at different angles of terrain and different distances when you're hunting archery.
Not hard to make shots with a rifle 15 yards or greater away but different story with archery.

I like to aim where my arrow will exit then it usually puts me on the mark.

Most everyone I talk to with big bore rifles like to peg deer high in the shoulder to drop them right there as previously mentioned.

I really don't mind one running every now and then...Bonehead needs the work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 44
Another good tool is deer photos in outdoor magazines. Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and my boys were boys and not men, I used to sit down with them and have them take a pencil and put the point where the bullet should be placed. this gave them confidince and me a little piece of mind that they knew where to put the bullet in different situations.

One day I showed the youngest a picture of a massive buck facing the camera, He took his pencil and put the point right between the bucks eyes and looked at me with a huge grin on his face wanting to get a rise out of the old man. LOL

The chart is useful for broadside and helping tp understand what the bullet should do when it penetrates, but pics as an additional tool with deer on different positions may be a little more like what they encounter in the field.

Last edited:
IMG-20131130-00558.jpg
Notice on this one,she was angled away from me. Took front of shoulder and it went out the neck on the other side. Dropped like a stone. Love the neck shots. My Father usually yelled at us for heart shots. he liked to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom