• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Deer Attractant

I buy some scents and test every year with my cameras and occasionally while hunting. I tried BFO last year while hunting, because I had heard it was so good, and I got nothing from it.

The only scented item I have ever had personally work is the tarsal glands.

shootingtime.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_11_photo_1_1.jpg

View attachment 302774

These 2 little guys walked within 50 feet of me a few mins ago. Guess they aren't afraid of the moving track hoe.. They got in no hurry to walk into the woods.

You need security! Few more weeks I'll keep a perimeter check while your working. They are dangerous so lock you doors while you work! Lol

Funny about the track hoe.

I've been told running machinery sparks deer curiosity and I know a couple people that use running tractors to attract deer to their field.

As far as scents...I've used several but seem to have the best luck in early rut with tinks or code blue.
I drag it in on scent drags and hang up a couple wicks or soaked rag swatches in ideal spots in my shooting lanes.
In my experience young bucks are more eager to go after scent wicks than mature bucks but it don't keep me from trying.

I've tried buck bombs but the sound of them going off probably scared away every deer within a mile radius........never ever saw a deer of any kind after using a buck bomb.

I've got some acorn spray scent I want to try this coming season.

If anything deer scent works well as a cover scent so be prepared to rely on other things like deer bleat and grunt calls.

I've never had any type or brand of scent attract even a single deer in my 20 yrs of deer hunting. I haven't used everything out there, but I've used a lot of them with zero success. Some even seemed to drive deer out of the area. To put it simply, I don't believe there is any magic scent for sale that will bring deer to you all on its own. About the only thing I would consider them useful for is maybe making a deer pause long enough to get a good shot at it.

I make my own scent for false scrapes each year and it works.I have seen bucks and does working the overhead branch and pawing the dirt.But most of these were small bucks during the day.Night time the scrapes were visited by the big uns.There is no magic potion fo sho.Time in the stand is what it takes.

I've never had any type or brand of scent attract even a single deer in my 20 yrs of deer hunting. I haven't used everything out there, but I've used a lot of them with zero success. Some even seemed to drive deer out of the area. To put it simply, I don't believe there is any magic scent for sale that will bring deer to you all on its own. About the only thing I would consider them useful for is maybe making a deer pause long enough to get a good shot at it.

Have you used scent drags when you walked in?

I've used estrous very successfully this way.

They come in sniffing the ground......then sniffing the air looking around with their head up then once they get to one of my swatches they stop and sniff like mad while I take my shot.

I've got three younger bucks this way within the past 5 years.

Doe bleats have worked better for me for calling in does and big bucks.

Back
Top Bottom