• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cuban cigars

Don't think it's the manufacturing that makes them good so much as where the tobacco is grown

I get that but even if you had some Sao Paolo North Slope Trip Weed of the finest variety, it wouldn't be best enjoyed in a raggedy old loosely rolled spliff (or so I've heard). I've long thought that Cubans are perceived to be good precisely because they are forbidden.

They're good, and the flavor is distinctly different. What you really get with the Cubans is lots of nicotine, with milder flavor. I mean that in the strongest possible terms. Many, many cigar smokers can't handle the big Cubans (the ones over 40 ring size-- everyone can handle and will love a Monte Christo Number 4).

In most countries though, they are very expensive. $20-$40 easily for one cigar. Spain used to be the cheapest place to get them; they got the second best ones too. England gets the best, Spain second, everyone else (including Cuba) gets what's left.

Generally speaking, if you cringe at the price then they are not worth the money. Still, they are different and just like a lot of folks will occasionally splurge on an expensive bottle of wine, you can look at this the same way.

But... if you aren't already a knowledgeable cigar smoker, with a developed palate-- you are wasting your money. You won't appreciate the difference. Put another way, if you are not at the point where you snicker at the folks on TV that don't know how to light a cigar, then you probably should save your money. : )

Last edited:
Well hopefully no one is violating any embargos. I just wanted to know how much if any my chances of smoking a cuban had improved given recent developments between our governments. That is all.

My Dad visited Cuba back in the 50's before Castro took over and I grew up hearing him talk about the cigars, the rum, and the women.
When I was in the Navy I may or may not have picked up a box of Cuban cigars in Spain and hid it in a cabinet in the radar room..
but if I did my Dad was very, very happy.