Crazy Mosin Nagant Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefsquirrel83

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
8   0
Reaction score
I am thinking about going to a local gun store to buy a Mosin Nagant...cheeaaappp. One-just to add to the collection. Two-throw a cheap Busnell on it and take it to the deer woods. I am an avid deer hunter and use BLR's and Marlins. I just thought this would be a neat change of pace. What's ya'lls take?

There are better tools for the job in my opinion. Most of the surplus ammo you'll find for a Mosin will be FMJ also and it's not really suited for Whitetails. The soft point ammo is ridiculously expensive IIRC as well.

Please do not hurt the poor Nagant. If you must Bubba it at least get the kit that allows you to install a rail without drilling or taping. Please :pray:

No offense to any of the "professional" hunters, but anyone who has ever taken a Mosen out, shot it, and didn't think it was a total hoot, is prevaricating to the max.
JMO

Get the scope mount kit that replaces the rear sight, slap on a LER scope and go for it. I have a M44 set up this way (bought the bubba'd M44 right here) that I plan to kill at least one with this year...

The deer it dont kill, will be deaf for at least 5 minutes!!!! lol

There are better tools for the job in my opinion. Most of the surplus ammo you'll find for a Mosin will be FMJ also and it's not really suited for Whitetails. The soft point ammo is ridiculously expensive IIRC as well.

actually I have found several places that sale hollow points and soft point. And the soft points I found are cheaper than my .270 Hornady's and 30-30 Leverevolutions. I know there a better tools for the job. I just want one for craps and giggles.

With the current popularity of the Mosin Nagant hunting ammo for the rifle has become available, you may need to order it but you can get them, just be prepared to pay between eighty cent to a dollar a round. Been wanting to pick up a few myself, kick myself for not ordering the crate a while back of the damn things and putting them up, could have gotten a full crate for a grand.

From Ammoseek.com:

Retailer Manufacturer Caliber Type Grains Description Price # Rounds Price/Round
J&G Sales Barnaul 7.62x54R rifle 203 7.62x54R Brown Bear Soft Point, 20rd boxes. (price per box for orders of 50+ boxes) $8.40 20 $0.42
J&G Sales Barnaul 7.62x54R rifle 203 7.62x54R Brown Bear Soft Point, 500rd cases. (price per box for orders of 2+ boxes) $209.95 500 $0.42
Ammunition To Go Barnaul 7.62x54R rifle 203 500rds - 7.62x54R Brown Bear 203gr. SP Ammo $211.95 500 $0.42
Ammunition To Go Barnaul 7.62x54R rifle 203 100rds - 7.62x54R Brown Bear 203gr. SP Ammo $42.95 100 $0.43
J&G Sales Barnaul 7.62x54R rifle 203 7.62x54R Brown Bear Soft Point, 20rd boxes. (price per box for orders of 25+ boxes) $8.80 20 $0.44

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom