• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Coyotes Are Colonizing Cities. Step Forward the Urban Hunter.

I've seen a lot of coyotes and killed every one possible mostly in Greene and Hancock Counties. However the biggest one I've ever seen was walking across the cul-de-sac at the end of my street in Lawrenceville early one Sunday morning. I warned my neighbors who live in the cul-de-sac and have a few small dogs. Not 3 months later one of those poor little dogs got torn up by a coyote in the middle of the day. I hear them frequently around the house. Those things are everywhere and unfortunately they always will be and I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it.

The pursuit of the predator in settings like strip malls, residential streets and parks is igniting a debate over the benefits and dangers of urban hunting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/26/...ing-cities-step-forward-the-urban-hunter.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Dennis Murphy sniffed the bobcat urine he uses to lure his prey. He checked the silencer on his AR-15 assault rifle and loaded a few snares into his Ford pickup.

“Let’s go kill some coyotes,” he said.

But he wasn’t heading for the wilderness. Mr. Murphy’s stalking ground is on the contentious new frontier where hunters are clashing with conservationists: cities and suburbs.

This is all ready a problem in Central park in New York City. They are living and breeding in the park by huge packs, and it's against the law(NOT) to hunt them. The Park was once there natural hunting ground but killed by early settlers, now they are back in force coming back from Canada.

A silenced ar15 assault rifle used to hunt in the city eh? Not sure silencers were meant for full autos, I could be wrong but though

Kinda reminds me of hard target

He got cold, came back in the house, peed, drank some warm milk, and went to bed.

Not quite.
1–Got bored.
2- aimed rifle at tree trunk and watched the lens fog over from my breath when I exhaled too close to it.
3- cursed up a storm, but in a low voice.
4- Peed.
5– Went in the house.
6-Drank Coke with splash of rum.
7–went to bed.

A silenced ar15 assault rifle eh? Not sure silencers were meant for full autos

Some silencers are rated for multiple 30-round mag dumps from full autos.

But I’m pretty sure this hunter is using a semi-auto-only AR, which might not even have some other M16 paramilitary features either. What the article’s author calls an assault rifle, we might call an MSR: modern [semi auto] sporting rifle.

Some silencers are rated for multiple 30-round mag dumps from full autos.

But I’m pretty sure this hunter is using a semi-auto-only AR, which might not even have some other M16 paramilitary features either. What the article’s author calls an assault rifle, we might call an MSR: modern [semi auto] sporting rifle.

And there is no hunter in any major city in this country, or even most cities for that matter, using a silenced AR or any other firearm to hunt coyotes - at least legally. It's a damn lie.

There is some bow hunting, but anyone who calls themselves a hunter will know that you don't control yotes via hunting. Trapping is how you manage the yote population, and 99.9% of what's done in "settings like strip mall parking lots, housing tract cul-de-sacs, and plazas in the shadow of skyscrapers" :rolleyes: is trapping. Of course the article only mentions trapping twice, and that's was just in captions for pictures.

The article also brought up hunting accidents, and although I don't know the statistics for hunting deaths, my guess is the last 50 years of hunting deaths in this entire country does not equal 1 year of murders in Chicago.

The entire article was sensationalized bull****, and about the only thing the article got right was the yote overpopulation problem. Of course they also failed to mention that it's a problem in the country as well as the city...

Back
Top Bottom