• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Could land in rural Georgia become cheaper to buy ? or more available ?

'A shortage of homes': Houston County sees boom in housing market​

Tina Inman says it's a seller’s market right now -- many people looking to buy are having a hard time because supply is low yet demand is high.

9d3c4424-2c48-49e4-87d0-d64ed5354635_1920x1080.jpg

Author: Bre'onna Richardson (WMAZ)
Published: 12:14 AM EDT October 1, 2021
Updated: 12:17 AM EDT October 1, 2021

HOUSTON COUNTY, Ga. — The region’s housing market seeing a big boom right now, especially in Houston County. According to the Central Georgia Multiple Listing Service, over the last year 4,471 residential homes were sold with realtors across the region – 2,914 of them were sold in Houston County.

Tina Inman is a realtor at Fickling & Company. She says this thriving market started heating up during the pandemic and keeps growing.

“There's a shortage of homes available in Houston County,” said Inman.
She says it's a seller’s market right now and many people looking to buy are having a hard time because supply is low, yet demand is high. Caly Hess bought her Bonaire home in May.

“I was in the market to move but we weren't rushing, but then this house fell on the market. My realtor brought me in the same day, we fell in love with it, we put our offer in that day because he had warned us that most houses were going for more than asking and were disappearing within 48 hours,” said Hess.

Hess says when she was online -- every house had at least six offers at once. She says Georgia was one of the most scarce markets.

“Our house actually ended up pricing considerably higher than what it was initially. We have a few friends that ended up having to pay over what they anticipated paying for asking,” said Hess.
Kim Hacker recently moved from Michigan. She bought her Warner Robins home in June.
“The houses I found were gone within hours of being posted, so they would go on sale and within an hour to two hours, it'd be gone. It'd show 'pending' or 'sold,'” said Hacker.

Inman says she's noticed it's hardest to find homes in Warner Robins or Centerville.

“There are buyers now willing to bring an extra $50,000 to closing, just to make sure they get that house. There's a lot of cash deals being presented now,” said Inma

We bought 24 acres last year in Wheeler Co. Great people, was born there and left in the 70s with about 5000 people in the county. About 8000 now with 3000 in a new prison...so about the same number in the county. Very rural, quiet, and enjoyable. Fiber is being ran down the road and should be up in a week or so. You just take it for granted that it's now a 45 minute ride for shopping versus 10 min. I'm glad we bought when we did as prices seem to be on the upswing. Looking forward to making the full transition from Atlanta outskirts to rural GA.

Back
Top Bottom