• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Copperhead.....tis the season.

Just when the leaves turn brown, these guys make themselves known.

Down on my range.....if she hadn't curled up first and just struck I probably wouldn't have made it up the hill before taking the long nap.

Anyways, it's been skinned, stretched, cleaned and is now soaking in tanning solution (alcohol and glycerin). The pattern was too nice to just toss it. And at 4 feet long, I'm sure I can turn it into something.

Just a reminder to be aware of your surroundings.....maybe I'll switch from Crocs to my boots now 😉

View attachment 6293264View attachment 6293265View attachment 6293266
Pickled rattler?

I've eaten rattlesnake back in Utah while we were camping. Cooked on a stick over some hot coals. Salt, pepper, cayenne and some other spices. Hated every last bite of it.

I cut this one up and threw it where I knew there are other animals that will happily enjoy a prepared meal.

The wild thing was that even though this was 6 hours after the head departed the body, the muscles were still firing and the heart was still beating. No internals but the damn thing was still trying to wrap up.
My Daddy used to say, they won't stop til the sun goes down.

I skinned one out a while back
it was the biggest I've seen
I got in a hurry a lost about 5 inches past the anal cavity (Do Not Pull Too Hard)
that's a full size tailgate

100-3493-zpsoltzot0e.jpg

It's been a bad year for those this year up here in Virginia. They seem to have made quite the hysteria up here this year.

Nice skin by the way. Maybe a hat ring or belt would be beautiful with that one. It certainly has eye appeal. Most things that are so attractive are extremely dangerous. Women included. I haven't seen many but they are there. Especially where I am at. A lot of perfect habitat. I just don't get out much on the yard but I see shed skins down in the cellar all the time. Some of them are alarmingly large.

Where I enter my home is stair well. It's below the ground level. Steps leading into a concrete recess below the ground. I am always on high alert that a snake is down in there every time I am about to start down into that little well. Just last week I looked down in there before I started down. Sure enough there was a 5 foot rat snake in there. The week before another smaller one was present. I am sure one of these days I am sure I will see daddy venom down there. I always take a flashlight or a head mount light with me when I go out at night. It's impossible to see down in there so some kind of light source is a must. Cooperheads aren't the only threat. Rattlesnakes are around as well. Lots of cover near the water is a magnet for those bastards.

Back
Top Bottom