coping w/ cross dominance?

Left or right doesn't matter to me. I guess I could say I'm left eye dominant but I can shoot either with either
Everything except writing I can do with either eye or either hand

Me as well. Im right hand right eye dominent but a couple bad breaks on my left wrist and shoulder make it to where I have trouble holding a right handed bow with a heavy draw, so I shoot left instead and didn't have any issues transitioning to my left eye for aim. Doing IDPA I have to practice weak hand/weak eye shooting a lot too so I can be just as fast with either hand.

Of course if you carry you should practice that every time you are at the range too. When SHTF and you have to draw you never know what hurdles you might have to cross. Might not have use of one hand or one of your eyes for some reason

I have the same problem.

When I shoot a rifle, I put a piece of tape over the center of the left lens. This lets me keep both eyes open to reduce eye strain and still be able to see.

When I shoot pistols, I tilt my head and use my left eye.

I'm still struggling with this issue, but my shooting has improved. Still need lots of practice!

I am crosseye dominant and I shoot Olympic pistol. All I do is tape my left lens on my glasses so it's translucent enough to transfer light and general colors and borders, but not enough to where my left eye can focus on the front sight.

Fire!.jpg
You can't give a cookie cutter response to this issue, as there are too many variables that can differ from shooter to shooter. I do, however, agree with the statement that you SHOULD shoot with both eyes open, when using a weapon system that can employed as such, like handguns and 1x red dot equipped long guns.

Not only will you have a dominant eye, but there are different "levels" of dominance. I know folks that can't use their non-dominant eye for much of anything, where other folks can use either eye interchangeably. I'm right eye dominant, but my eyes are really close when it comes to one being dominant over the other. I shoot handguns and red dot-equipped long guns with both eyes open, focusing with the right eye predominately, but switching focus when I switch hands/shoulders.

When I was heavy into Cowboy Action Shooting, I competed as a Gunfighter, which meant I drew both handguns simultaneously, one in each hand, and alternated fire between the two. I shot the right-hand Colt (Dexter) with my right eye and the left-hand Colt (Sinister) with my left eye. That's what worked for me, but all the other Gunfighters I paid much attention to used their dominant eye for both......I could see their head shifting as they brought their dominant eye into play behind the appropriate revolver.

I was born a leftie, but my Dad was a leftie and broke me of it, made me a rightie. Now I do everything as a rightie, except shoot pool.......still do that as a leftie for some reason. Other than handwriting, I can do pretty much everything with my left hand that I can do with my right. I shoot as accurately with my left hand (one or two-handed) as I do with my right, I'm just a bit faster with my right.

Got a student I've been working with for a few years now in several disciplines. He's right-handed and left-eye dominant. He shoots rifles and carbines right-handed. I've run him way past 1,000yds with his bolt action .308 and he shoots just fine. I've done all the eye dominance tests with him and he is truly left-eye dominant. However, I ran him through multiple shooting tests using both eyes open/right eye focus, both eyes open/left eye focus, left eye closed, and right eye closed. As of right now, he is significantly more accurate when he shoots left eye closed/right eye only.

I 100% agree with the statement that you should shoot with both eyes open. I use it, advocate it and teach it. However.......the most important thing in a gunfight is to hit the other guy before he hits you. So, right now I've got him closing his left eye and shooting right eye only and he has shown a marked improvement. Is it ideal? Nope. Does it work for this particular individual? Abso-friggin'-lutely.

If it's stupid, and it works, it ain't stupid.

Last edited:
well, i am comfortable with left eye (and right eye, for that matter) and right shooting hand for pistols but what am i do do about shooting my AR?

I shoot ARs left handed. There's no problem as long as it's not a slick slide. I'm left eye dominant, and the only thing I have trouble with its bolt guns.

If you do want to train your right eye, you don't need a patch, just a piece of scotch tape over your left lens and your brain well adjust

Back
Top Bottom