• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cooking / Smoking / Grilling

Firewall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
Who else enjoys smoking & grilling ?

I'm still getting everything down. I lived in a apartment last year and couldn't have a grill, but this year I'm in a house and my wife bought me a propane grill for my birthday in late July. A couple months later I picked up an inexpensive electric smoker and have been using that almost every other week. I mostly smoke whole chickens but did a turkey for Thanksgiving that came out very good and tender. I've done pork butt and ribs too but I'm not quite as crazy about them. Next thing I want to try is fish.

New favorite thing to do in the summer is grill a whole chicken slowly while sitting out on the back porch with a good beer and cigar

Here's one for you for the pork on the grill

Need
Pork Tenderloin
green pepper
onion
potatoes (I like red)
Mojo (Spanish marinade, it's green and comes in a bottle that looks like a wine bottle from "Goya")
aluminum foil, heavy duty

Make a bag out of the foil by folding it in half and folding the sides.
cut up the peppers, onions, and potato and put it in the bottom of the bag
place the loin on top and poor the Mojo on top covering all of the veggies and half of the loin.
roll the bag down close to the loin and let it cook for 30-45 minutes, or until loin is white all the way through.

Place all on a platter and serve.

You can also do chicken breast this way with oranges, potatoes, and Italian dressing. It don't take as long to cook.

Try the fish on a cedar shingle.

I love cooking over an open fire, have 6' diameter fire pit I made out of left over bricks with expanded metal over half of it for a cooking surface.

The flavor of the food coming off the fire pit is sooo good, even bacon done out there is unbelievable. The fire and smoke gives the food a flavor that I haven't been able to match with my smoker or grill even if I use the same wood.

This is the only pic I have of the fire pit.

lh6.ggpht.com__BC8XzUgjs0U_SBMTFGCWwbI_AAAAAAAAC7M_F_FJEyTE5tw_s800_2_04.JPG

Plus it's great to sit around after the meal is done, have a few beers and watch the fireworks
lh3.ggpht.com__BC8XzUgjs0U_TQbODurac_I_AAAAAAAADmc_cTWHDqdB62E_s512_DSC04637.JPG

If you're doing pork you need good quality meat. Much of what is available in grocery stores has been injected with water solutions. When you smoke it, you get something more like ham than bbq.

For those who like SPICY Here is a thing me an my buddies like Its Called BIG OL' MESS

1lb Smoked Sasuage, 3 Jalepenos sliced, 1 Bell Pepper cut into bite size chunks, 1 Sweet Onion cut into bite size chunks, 1/4 cup of Tabasco (If you dont like it real spicy sub the Tabasco for your favorite hotsauce), and 1 10oz Jar of Sweet-and-Sour sauce

Get a Medium or Large foil pan (Dollar Store has the best deal) Combine everything and mix well. Cover with Aluminum Foil. Place on hot grill for 45-60 mins and Stir (I ususally take oven mitts an shake the pan) Every 15 mins.

If you try it PM me an let me know how you liked it.

I make an artery clogger, pork loin, stuffed with fresh hot italian sausage, and make a bacon weave, and wrap it up. Good as hell, and keeps all the muslims in the neighborhood in the house for the day.

I make an artery clogger, pork loin, stuffed with fresh hot italian sausage, and make a bacon weave, and wrap it up. Good as hell, and keeps all the muslims in the neighborhood in the house for the day.

Is that what I've been smelling coming down Killian Hill Road?

[Broken External Image]:
ceadar salmon

[Broken External Image]:
kabobs, cream cheese stuffed japs, potato

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:
the beast
got the grill as a move in present from my mom
im a charcoal guy, wont cook with gas

love to cook ribs