• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Confessions of a GLOCK shooter.

Transitioning between radically different platforms such as those two can be challenging.
In my experience (over 250 students plus through my school) I've found that most shooters transitioning between the two platforms have problems due to the change in grip angle & trigger press.
If you want to be proficient with both it will definitely require considerable practice. Most serious shooters pick one platform &a try to master it... you know the ol' " beware of the man with one gun" adage.
If they're just for recreational shooting throw in a few dummy rounds during your shooting sessions & check your trigger press. Both are terrific systems that are capable of more accuracy than most of the people who are shooting them.

Last edited:
Transitioning between radically different platforms such as those two can be challenging.
In my experience (over 250 students plus through my school) I've found that most shooters transitioning between the two platforms have problems due to the change in grip angle & trigger press.
If you want to be proficient with both it will definitely require considerable practice. Most serious shooters pick one platform &a try to master it... you know the ol' " beware of the man with one gun" adage.
If they're just for recreational shooting throw in a few dummy rounds during your shooting sessions & check your trigger press. Both are terrific systems that are capable of more accuracy than most of the people who are shooting them.

agreed 100%

Monte, this very true. I have always been a 1911 guy but our department has transitioned from Mod. 64s to G23s and I find when combat shooting, I short stroke the G23. I've always been able to go from a revolver to the 1911 without issue, but the G23 is giving me a hard time. For this reason, as bad as I hated to, I put the 1911s away and now, just strictly carry the Glock.......... I miss my 1911, but I have always believed in the theory of mastering one platform.

Luke

Some shooter's go so far as to have their Glock grip modified by removing the rear "hump" to make it point more like a 1911.
Luke I think you're on the right track. Those who live/work in high risk environments are usually better served by picking one platform & working exclusively with it. With my occupation I have to be able to shoot all of them well but I learned many years ago during my first dangerous encounter that being somewhat familiar with many systems was less desirable than being really good with one. I've had the same carry system/firearm now for over 20 years.
Jeff Cooper said that in order to use a firearm successfully for self-defense one needed to be able to employ the "Combative Triad" comprised of Mindset, Marksmanship, & Gunhandling Skill/Proficiency.

That advice is probably more relevant today than when he said it many years ago due to the huge variety of pistols with vastly different operating characteristics.

That man was way ahead of his time & is called "The Father of Modern Pistolcraft" to this day for good reason.

Last edited:
Perhaps the biggest difference between the Glock and 1911 besides the grip is the mechanics of the trigger operation. On a Glock, it is a hinged piece that almost "arcs" back as you manipulate it. On a 1911, the trigger moves straight back in a literal track that is inside the frame. Do some dry-fire to work out the difference in the triggers. It takes me about 500 or so trigger pulls to get a good feel for a 1911 again.

Try this drill: The Wall Drill

The wall drill sounds interesting... But I think I may be taking bids on a like new Kimber Custom II and a brand new Ruger SR1911... Pacakge... Lol

i was the opposite. carried 1911's for years. i got my 1st glock, a g22. the glock never did FEEL right. but i shot it well. thats why i bought it. now i love both.

Some shooters with solid fundamentals and &/or lots of are able to both platforms well but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Occasionally we have people come through who are rock solid shooters which enables us to modify the class to focus more on tactics.
Most seem to really struggle with the change in grip angle especially during quick sight acquisition drills.

Duty weapon for me is HK p2000 LEM in 40. Off duty I carry mostly the USPc in 40 since it's the same trigger pull basically as the p2000 and roughly the same grip. That being said I prefer Glocks. I have a model 22 and model 35 and practice with it a few times a month to maintain my proficiency with them. Grip angle has become second nature after carrying them on and off duty since 1998. If you practice you can maintain proficiency. I got rid of my last 1911 last year. I guess as I get older with arthitis and all they are not as pleasureable to shoot as they once were for me. That and the fact I have so much 40 ammo laying around...lol.

Back
Top Bottom