• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed Carry in Army Corp lands?

What about possession of a firearm in one of the houses around the lake ??
Houses are on leased COE property, right ?

No, That is the case for most GA Power lakes, especially the mountain ones. Oconee is mostly privately owned beyond the set back. Probably Sinclair and Jackson too.

COE lakes the property line is the setback line around the lake which varies in width, Beyond the setback line is privately owned,

Kind of wish this could be settled legally permanently. This needs to be corrected via law or judicial review. One can carry on National Park land but not corp land? That needs to be fixed.

COE headquarters in Mobile, AL is the contact for all the southeastern district. Covers all COE land.

Not all COE land in Ga, is in the Mobile District.

Some is in the Savannah district.

You have to have a letter from the appropriate district. If you need it for lakes in two districts, two letters.

Georgia Weapons License.

Q: Can I carry at a State Park, Historic Area, or Wildlife Management Area that is under control of the Army Corp of Engineers?
A:
No. It is against federal law to carry in any area controlled by the COE. GCO filed a lawsuit late Thursday, June 12, against the Army Corps of Engineers for its refusal to allow GWL holders to carry on Corps property. The complaint can be found here. GCO has also filed a motion for a preliminary injunction in its case against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In the motion, GCO seeks to have the Corps enjoined from enforcing the ban on carrying on Corps property pending the outcome of the case. The brief in support of the motion and other documents may be viewed here.

https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

Just F.Y.I., Georgia Carry .org lost that case. Over 4 years ago.

The Army Corps of Engineers won and had their rule upheld in federal district court.

Georgia Carry appealed to the 11th circuit and while that was going on the Corps of Engineers begin giving individuals permission via written letter.
That made the case moot, basically, and the 11th circuit dismissed it at that point because all of the plaintiffs who had been part of the lawsuit were able to get their gun carrying done legally through these permission letters.

Not all COE land in Ga, is in the Mobile District.

Some is in the Savannah district.

You have to have a letter from the appropriate district. If you need it for lakes in two districts, two letters.
My letter lists all the COE land that is covered under Mobile district, each lake or river section. I don`t have it handy to see how far east it covers.

My letter lists all the COE land that is covered under Mobile district, each lake or river section. I don`t have it handy to see how far east it covers.

Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee Flint River Basin.

Hall County wanted to build a reservoir north of Lake Lanier, and it was in the Savannah District (which killed the project). No idea where the exact line between the districts is in that area.

All of the GA/SC COE border lakes are Savannah District.

I became familiar with the boundaries not so much for CC purposes, but for water permitting purposes. COE controls permits for reservoirs that are not on COE land.

Back
Top Bottom