• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed Carry in Army Corp lands?

baxterday

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
103   0
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but is it legal now in GA to carry on Army Corp lands/waters? I know there was a court ruling or some kind of order, at least I think there was. Thanks in advance for your advise/wisdom.

Georgia Weapons License.

Q: Can I carry at a State Park, Historic Area, or Wildlife Management Area that is under control of the Army Corp of Engineers?
A:
No. It is against federal law to carry in any area controlled by the COE. GCO filed a lawsuit late Thursday, June 12, against the Army Corps of Engineers for its refusal to allow GWL holders to carry on Corps property. The complaint can be found here. GCO has also filed a motion for a preliminary injunction in its case against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In the motion, GCO seeks to have the Corps enjoined from enforcing the ban on carrying on Corps property pending the outcome of the case. The brief in support of the motion and other documents may be viewed here.

https://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/georgias-carry-laws-explained/frequently-asked-questions/

They will issue, if you jump through their hoops.

GeorgiaCarry.OrgMarch 23, 2018

Dear GCO Member,

As you know, recently two members of GCO were awarded permission to carry on COE Property. If you wish to apply for permission to carry on COE Property, you will need to send a request to the proper districr or both if you will be travelling all over the state. Anyone who would like permission to carry on COE Property should send a request to:

[In the case of properties in the Mobile District]
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Mobile District (Attn: Operations)
P.O. Box 2288
Mobile, AL 36628-0001
http://www.sam.usace.army.mil/Contact/

They should include a copy of their GWLs.
[In the case of the Savannah District]

They can sent the request by mail:
Savannah District
100 W. Oglethorpe Ave
Savannah, GA 31401

Or on-line:
http://www.sas.usace.army.mil/Contact/
While not presently requested, it may be helpful to include a copy of the GWL with Savannah requests, too.

Good luck and let us know if you have problems recceiving permission.

I added the Mobile office online contact. It was not in the original email.

==================

GeorgiaCarry.Org

Fighting for your right to bear arms!

GeorgiaCarry.Org

1) More on applying for permission to carry on COE controlled property

Anyone who would like permission to carry on COE Property should send a simple request to:

[Mobile District]

Covers Lake Altoona, Carter's Lake, Lake Sidney Lanier, Walter F. George Lake, George W. Andrews Lake and West Point Lake.
Mobile District (Attn: Operations)
P.O. Box 2288
Mobile, AL 36628-0001

This should be by a short letter stating:

Your Name
Your Address
Your Phone number and email address
and a simple statement on why you wish to carry, i.e., to protect self and family

You should also include a copy of your GWLs.

[Savannah District]

Covers Hartwell Lake, Russell Lake and Thurmond Lake.
Your Executive Director received a phone call from the gentleman who is processing the requests for the Savannah District and is processing them as quickly as possible. Here is what he says he needs:

Name
Mailing Address
Simple reason for the request (personal protection, 2nd Amendment Right, etc)
What state issued their weapons permit and the permit number.

I don't need copies of driver's licenses or weapons permits.

Folks can snail mail written requests to me at the following address or easier, just email a brief request to Joseph.W.Melton@usace.army.mil.

USACE Savannah District
OP-SR: Joe Melton
100 W. Oglethorpe Ave
Savannah, GA 31401

Once received, I draw up their permission letter and have our District Commander sign it. I put the first 16 permission letters in the mail yesterday and am working on an additional 15 now.

Thanks for your help!

Joe Melton
Recreation Business Line Manager
USACE Savannah District

easier to just ccw, responsibly, discretely, and if ya do have to use it, deal with the BS with your lawyer at that time.

Back
Top Bottom