• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Competition shooting, and accuracy help

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure if this was the right forum but it seemed like a good fit. I also apologize in advance for the long winded post you're about to read. Grammar and spelling are not high points of mine so I will also do my best to make it as painless as possible for those with higher reading/writing aptitudes than I.

Recently I bought my first house (January 2nd 2014) and am Finally starting to get financially stable (though I still have my issues) so I have started rebuilding a firearms collection (I lost my old collection in a flood years ago at my parents house where all my firearms were stored) 10 years ago when my vision allowed me to I could hit about a 2" target at 100+ yards open sights with my Nagant 91/30 (god I miss that rifle). Now my vision sucks a lot more (poor diabetes control) and I cant see a small target that far anymore but I'm still a good shot as far as I can see with a rifle, I've also always been very good with a bow (of course I haven't shot a bow in at least 7 years). I grew up in NY so I never handled a pistol til I moved to Georgia about 8 years ago, Hell I was flabbergasted that you were allowed to walk out with a gun and bullets in the same purchase on the same day you decided to make the purchase. I got my carry permit (for two reasons, one I co-owned and ran a small cash only shop and felt better at night with a pistol under the register, and the other to make purchasing a gun at a gun show easier) and have slowly been trying out different pistols to see my liking.

However, I am clearly doing something wrong and I'm not sure what it is. I could never hit the broad side of a barn from inside it with a shotgun, and I'm almost as good with a handgun apparently. I've tried several pistols in many calibers. A high point 9mm was my first (it was cheap, lay off. I wasn't going to turn down $100 gun for my first pistol) and I couldn't hit crap with it (I attributed it to it being cheap) then I got a CZ72 in .32.. holy crap that is a ****ty round. I did like the weapon however. Then I got a RIA 1911 .45 because I always wanted one.. and I was almost as good with it as I was the High Point, I came across some Llama .380 that was a much smaller 1911 that I loved, and I could hit within what I considered to be a reasonable grouping with it (in other words at least I always hit the paper at 25 yards). I ended up selling it and being without for a while after my shop closed and I didn't need a weapon anymore, and I needed the money more. I hate that, I loved that gun and want another one.

Anyway fast forward to now. I have a Sig Sauer mosquito and a Walther PK380 (I like the round, hate how expensive it is) and I'm still only as good as well, I can hit the paper at least at 25 or so yards (the limit of my vision open sights anymore to see the bullseye in the paper) I love both guns, and I am sadly a much better shot with the .380 still. But my friend can consistently hit the bullseye with my pistol and put shots on top of shots and I just cant. I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong but I cant figure out what. I'm using a proper grip on the weapon, pulling the trigger with the tip of my index finger, I just don't get it. My friend cant teach me because of time, and because he just doesn't know how to teach the same as I play guitar well but I couldn't teach him how to do it because I don't know how to instruct him to do so. Is there some kind of class I should go to? Anybody have any tips, or that could help me out?

The second question I have is, while I am not accurate at all once I do get things settled in I would love to do competition shooting in some aspect, and I've no idea how to start or where to even look to get into it. Can someone point me into that direction as well?

Again, I apologize for the longwindedness of my post :(

You're about to get 10,000 opinions.
I'll just say, I'm a pretty fair long gun shot (and placed well in the very few competitions I entered) but have never been able to shoot a handgun worth a flip.
My problem I'm sure is insufficient practice.
In for littany of suggestions....

I'm all for a million things to try. I have a back yard range and 1500 rounds of .22 ammo to burn though. I'll try anything if there is a chance it could help me

I've given up. My last glasses had to be progressive. I'm toast.

I hear you, I look like a bobblehead when shooting a 3 gun match. I've learned to move my chin so I can look through the right part of the glasses. The progressives are tough to get used to, but are still the best I've had.

To the OP I'm a former Marine and a long distance rifle shooter who has always struggled to be as good with a pistol as I once was with a rifle. I joined a gun club about 6 years ago and did get better. This is what I figured out.

When long distance rifle shooting you don't muscle the weapon, you don't grip it hard at all - when pistol shooting I have to concentrate on a strong grip or it takes too long to get the second shot off which also causes me to have to regrip the weapon and provides you with no consistency.

I was taught your eyes can't focus on more than one thing at a time. Either the rear sight, front sight or target is in focus, never more than one. With a handgun it's all about that front sight, concentrate on the front sight that's the one to keep in focus, same as a rifle.

Pull the trigger straight to the rear, absolutely straight, it's harder than it sounds believe me.
If you are shooting a group it's just not where it's supposed to be (knowing the gun is sighted in) then it's trigger pull.

Last but not least you may be flinching or bucking. Have someone hand you the gun ready to go or empty, see if you flinch when you pull the trigger on an empty. You'll know it if you do it, you'll see the gun move. If so right off put on more hearing protection that seems to help some people and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck bud.

Riverbend gun club has matches open to the public. Start with action pistol it's always fun, it'll cost you just $20 bucks to shoot on 3 different bays at a variety of different targets. See RBGC.org

Your friend can stack holes with a pistol at 25 yards? If he can, he's better than me and better than most people.

If a rifle and a pistol both have 5lb triggers, but the rifle weighs 7lbs and the pistol 1 1/2lbs, the pressure required to squeeze the trigger on the rifle is much less likely to disturb the sights since it weighs more than the trigger weight. The pistol requires you to supply an opposing force to counteract the trigger pull, since the pull is almost always heavier than the gun itself. It's why most shoot a SA 1911 better than a glock, and a glock better than an ruger lcp or an airweight DAO revolver.

The shorter sight radius of pistol is something else. You know to keep equal amount of light on each side of the front sight. A difference so small you can't detect it can lead to a number of inches at 25 yards. Pulling the trigger and shooting 3" low-left at seven yards might not hit paper at 25 depending on your target size.

If you can see at seven yards, I would concentrate at getting as good as possible at that distance. Your shots will continue in a straight line, in rifle terms moa is moa no matter how far away the target is.

Your friend can stack holes with a pistol at 25 yards? If he can, he's better than me and better than most people.

He is damn good. I don't have any in the red on this target. He came down and shot the pistol for me to confirm it wasn't me. I have 5 mags all over the paper, he put the one mag he shot all in the center red section. His Vision is exceptional though, I'm sure its better than 20/20 but he's never been to an optometrist to confirm.

Sorry for the condition of the target. I had already placed it in the trash where I also throw my cleaning patches and qtips and such from cleaning the guns. when the walmart bag gets full it goes to the burn barrel

IMG_20141117_171557.jpg

Freedom makes a good point, I'd listen. If you can see 7 yards start there. I seem to remember reading something many years ago that said something like 90% of self defense shooting (outside the military) happens at 7 yards or less.

Back
Top Bottom