• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Competition 1911 .45 Project Gun, Complete!

HAHA thanks jglenn. I know you've seen that lathe looking a little rougher than that! I try and clean up the swarf between projects. I put a lot of time into getting that thing cleaned up, need to be better at keeping it that way!

Im going to re crown my back up Wad gun at 11 deg. and see if it has any impact at 50 yards in the ransom. ( stock Kart crown right now) Ill do a before and after check with the same ammo. Ive got a new Clark scope base on the way now, so it should be up and running in a few weeks.

be an interesting test... not sure it matters on a pistol as long as the crown is right.
a slight difference on a rifle from my little testing of rifle crowns.. I run an 11 degrees on all my rifle barrels ( it looks cool as you noted :bounce:)

for me it's easier to do too.

Exactly! Wellison you described it better than I did. There are commercially available spiders, but where is the fun in that. Making this one was a good practice project, and cost about $10! If I had a larger spindle bore, I could just chuck it in the 4 jaw and be done. or even better, the right size collet....

Sir, beautiful piece. Your work and this thread have inspired me to take on a similar project of my own.. However, I will have to send mine off for all the fun stuff (machine work to frame and slide). Do you know of a good shop?

I was wondering how you got those full size / magwell colt vz grips? I looked on VZ's website and could not find them.. Also, what kind of garret holster is that? Silent thunder? Again, thanks for the post. I am a huge colt 1911 fan. Can't afford Wilson, Nighthawk, etc.. So this is the next best thing..

Also wanted to ask what size EGW grip safety, 220 or 250 radius?

Thanks Brian,
They are the stock Colt grips. The Stan Chen magwell has you cut the frame down by about .200" and weld it in place. So you actually cut the grips shorter to fit, makes them look like they are straight cut magwell grips, but they are just cut down. I think thats the right model of holster, but I cant remember for sure. .220 radius grip safety, frame is undercut for the .250.
Check the gunsmithing forum on 1911 addicts.com there are several good smiths that post on there that could easily handle a project like this one. Best of luck with it, hope you get to see it through.

Back
Top Bottom