• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Colt Competition 1911 .45 Project Gun, Complete!

... according to colt their national match barrels are tested to usmc specs that only call for an accuracy of 2.0 inches at 20 yards. not exactly impressive but you could luck out and get a better one... kinda the luck of the draw.... I was a firm believer in the quality of colt barrels up until about 35 years ago. never have touched one since then, except to toss them is the trash can and also never looked back at my decision. Stormlake has been the only barrel I have used for all these years and have never had to toss one on the trash. every 1911 I build is tested by shooting them at 50 yards from a rest.... I put 200 rounds thru them to settle the parts in and notice a decided shrinking in the groups as I shoot... but all 200 rounds start to finish have to stay inside a 3inch circle. so to say I'm pleased with Stormlake barrels is an understatement.

Storm Lake? Interesting...Seems like all of the top smiths are using Kart, Bar Sto, and Nowlin for barrels. Storm Lake makes good stuff but if you're investing the time and money to fit a new barrel, most aren't choosing Storm Lake.

Some of the other guys can speak to this but I doubt you'll find many guys running Storm Lake barrels in their bullseye guns!

depending upon caliber JJrock is right about Bullseye barrels.. Kart is by far the most popular for 45 . The Marines still use Bar-Sto I believe. KKM and Nowlin are popular for the smaller calibers such as 9mm or 32. I'm a huge Kart fan.. tough to beat for price and performance. I have used a few Storm Lakes(match fit) for carry stuff... it all depends on the level of accuracy you are looking for..

markj, hey each to their own. I must be the new guy at this. I only started building 1911's in 1970 as a trained gunsmith and lack your years. so I guess I must bow to your superior experience and knowledge. when it comes to working on existing guns.... that's all I ever have done, I don't sell guns and have often shown guys that they can take their near new colt barrel, bushing and slide and sell it for enough to buy a quality oversize slide and bushing as well as an excellent barrel. these however do require the skills to fit them.... which I'm sure you have since your top dog at building 1911's. but I must say using 4 points of contact is not the way to fit a slide.

jjrock, I am a bit touchy about your use of the term "top smiths" I was and am still one of those people, even now being retired and just building for friends and relatives. I've built a lot of bullseye guns, it is my sport of choice. not only am I a very private person but in all my years of gunsmithing I never once advertised nor did I even have a sign and no employees . i did my best to run people away cause I didn't need their business and still I for years had a two year backlog. and everyone knew this coming in..... you don't know my name now an likely never will, i don't want people coming around bothering me. on barrels, I just happen to like the Stormlake barrels as I've never in all the years of using them had a bad one. the first one I got was I think during their first year of business. I have never built a gun for a customer that wants to tell me what name brand most popular parts I should use... those that come in with a list or a sack of parts I just tell them that's nice have fun putting it together and hand it back to them.... I build for an end result they get to say what style of sights they want, same with hammer and mainspring housing...... when it comes to cosmetics they can have whatever they want. in all the years of building I have had exactly one gun come back with a complaint...... it was a guy that had tried my personal bullseye gun and wanted a trigger like mine..... after blowing a few holes in the roof of our local range he returned the gun and wanted me to make the trigger a little heavier! it wasn't so much the trigger weight but it was so smooth his bad habit of feeling and playing with the trigger resulted in more than one ooops.
you have to understand that all the nice fancy write-up's in the gun rags naming certain brands... the type writer whores are paid to say what they do.... read enough of them and you'll find the same guy saying such glowing words in each article under different publishers and in the different articles he's naming different brands.

when I said a new build has to print inside a three inch circle at 50 yards..... a new build will continue to shoot tighter as it breaks in. after another 1,000 to 2,000 rounds mine will be shooting cloverleafs at 25 yards... sorry I didn't say that before I forget that many people don't know that fact about a new build. all of the builds of mine I've ever been able to track do this.

Dud.. Don't know who you are, but Mark has been here quite a while and does his own Bullseye pistols as do I and they will shoot under 2" at 50 yards out of a Ransom day one... that includes some he's welded up.. Jess it's not an uncommon practice among some BE smiths today on a frame that is already cut.... it's nice to start with an oversize frame and slide but not away an option.. the pistol in this thread is an IDPA gun so that sorry old Colt barrel will just have to do.. If he does replace it I'm pretty sure it will be a Kart..

I'll admit the only Colt barrels I use are old NM barrels from many years past but, if Colt would make a true gunsmith fit match barrel I would give them a try.

You're living in a state that has had and continues to have some of the best BE smiths in the world out of Ft Benning. Many have retired here and stayed active in BE.

I'm an older sort like you so I've know many great AMU smiths who retired here. Lucky to have been friends with a few back in the late 70s.

I'm sure we would enjoy you sharing your expertise here in the forums, but consider taking a step back and leaving the attitude at home.

This is a forum to help folks. we're all here to help and learn..

welcome to the ODT, BTW

F fifthhorsm , I'll go ahead and say it, no one else here will . . . .

With that attitude, doesn't matter if you are Barack Hussein Obama . . . you are, and will always be, an asshat . . . . !

i-have-a-friend-who-is-am-expert-on-butthurt-its-you.jpg

markj, hey each to their own. I must be the new guy at this. I only started building 1911's in 1970 as a trained gunsmith and lack your years. so I guess I must bow to your superior experience and knowledge. when it comes to working on existing guns.... that's all I ever have done, I don't sell guns and have often shown guys that they can take their near new colt barrel, bushing and slide and sell it for enough to buy a quality oversize slide and bushing as well as an excellent barrel. these however do require the skills to fit them.... which I'm sure you have since your top dog at building 1911's. but I must say using 4 points of contact is not the way to fit a slide.

jjrock, I am a bit touchy about your use of the term "top smiths" I was and am still one of those people, even now being retired and just building for friends and relatives. I've built a lot of bullseye guns, it is my sport of choice. not only am I a very private person but in all my years of gunsmithing I never once advertised nor did I even have a sign and no employees . i did my best to run people away cause I didn't need their business and still I for years had a two year backlog. and everyone knew this coming in..... you don't know my name now an likely never will, i don't want people coming around bothering me. on barrels, I just happen to like the Stormlake barrels as I've never in all the years of using them had a bad one. the first one I got was I think during their first year of business. I have never built a gun for a customer that wants to tell me what name brand most popular parts I should use... those that come in with a list or a sack of parts I just tell them that's nice have fun putting it together and hand it back to them.... I build for an end result they get to say what style of sights they want, same with hammer and mainspring housing...... when it comes to cosmetics they can have whatever they want. in all the years of building I have had exactly one gun come back with a complaint...... it was a guy that had tried my personal bullseye gun and wanted a trigger like mine..... after blowing a few holes in the roof of our local range he returned the gun and wanted me to make the trigger a little heavier! it wasn't so much the trigger weight but it was so smooth his bad habit of feeling and playing with the trigger resulted in more than one ooops.
you have to understand that all the nice fancy write-up's in the gun rags naming certain brands... the type writer whores are paid to say what they do.... read enough of them and you'll find the same guy saying such glowing words in each article under different publishers and in the different articles he's naming different brands.

when I said a new build has to print inside a three inch circle at 50 yards..... a new build will continue to shoot tighter as it breaks in. after another 1,000 to 2,000 rounds mine will be shooting cloverleafs at 25 yards... sorry I didn't say that before I forget that many people don't know that fact about a new build. all of the builds of mine I've ever been able to track do this.

i did my best to run people away cause I didn't need their business and still I for years had a two year backlog. and everyone knew this coming in..... you don't know my name now an likely never will, i don't want people coming around bothering me.

I'll say this: I've gotten some great help and assistance through this forum, from both jglenn jglenn and markj markj and worked with others like jjrock jjrock , it's a pretty friendly crowd and a lot of knowledge here. It's not very neighborly to come into another man's build thread and drop-trow to try and start comparing dicks. If the above was your professional goal, I'm happy you've succeeded, and it would seem that you are on the fast track to do the same thing here on this forum.

I would also say by your own description, you are the absolute WORST kind of 1911 smith out there. Sure you may build great custom guns, but at that level as a customer I want MY gun, by all means I'd love to hear what your years of experience tell you, and if I'm smart, I'll listen, but ultimately it's MY decision. There seems to be a mythos around 1911 builders that wait time and ****ty service/curmudgeonly interactions means you somehow get a better firearm, and I gotta say it just ain't true. I wouldn't have paid you for one of your guns when you were a pro, and if you're here as a retiree/hobbyist, nobody really has the patience to put up with your bad manners, especially when you're being rude to proven members who have gone out of their way to be polite to you.

Now if you really want to participate and show your chops, I would suggest that you start some of your own threads. Show some of the things you've built and share that hard-won expertise. I guarantee you that it will be appreciated. I love to see quality work and a well put together gun.

Now, can we please get back to markj markj 's latest beauty? I'd really like to hear about that Rock Island. Single stack or double?

Thanks guys. Hopefully we can just put it to rest.
bluesman2a bluesman2a , its the double stack with the full rail. Pretty cool gun for the money. Ramped barrel. Got several hundred rounds through it now with no issues. Just going to do some cosmetic work and some slide lightening, then Cerakote. Ill try and take pics as I go.

its the double stack with the full rail. Pretty cool gun for the money. Ramped barrel. Got several hundred rounds through it now with no issues. Just going to do some cosmetic work and some slide lightening, then Cerakote. Ill try and take pics as I go.

Funny you should say that... I just got rid of one of the early versions of that before they went to the ramped barrel (got it running and gifted it to a family member because I was done working on it). Had all KINDS of issues with the early one, around feeding. There are some REALLY good threads over on the Brian Enos board on those. Lots of mag issues as well. One note on mags: mine ran SPECTACULARLY on bone-stock STI mags, the 140's worked like a dream!

I'd love to see some pics, I really like the way that gun looks with the full rail, and interested to see your take on it!

Back
Top Bottom