• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

College students hack drone

Who owned the drone isn't really too important. They took a drone being controlled under one set of commands and then hacked into it with another set. This same hack could be used to take over government drones. They proved it's possible with a minimal amount of equipment.

Sure, it may be like breaking into your own car. The problem is, your car is easy to break into. 30,000 drones flying overhead should not be easy to break into.

Did that help?

Who owned the drone isn't really too important. They took a drone being controlled under one set of commands and then hacked into it with another set. This same hack could be used to take over government drones. They proved it's possible with a minimal amount of equipment.

Sure, it may be like breaking into your own car. The problem is, your car is easy to break into. 30,000 drones flying overhead should not be easy to break into.

Did that help?
But you're making the assumption that DOD UAV's have zero encryption and receive and process GPS data the same way civilian models do. I don't think that's a safe assumption.

"the DHS dared Humphreys’ crew to hack into a drone and take command. Much to their chagrin, they did exactly that."

That tells me the experiment should at least be good cause for concern.

Yes.

Also, the article states that soon there will be thousands of civilian drones in the sky. They could all be used as 9-11 style missiles.
Assuming that they all operate exactly the same, I agree....I just don't know that they do....also don't know that they don't, either.
"the DHS dared Humphreys’ crew to hack into a drone and take command. Much to their chagrin, they did exactly that."

That tells me the experiment should at least be good cause for concern.
That tells me that the author of the story had a flair for writing.

Maybe, I'm missing something here....UT scientists hacked into a drone that they already owned?
correct, nothing wrong or unfair in that picture.

So, they hacked their own drone, that they programmed and knew exactly how it functioned?
yes they did hack their own drone but no, they did not program it. think of it this way. hypothetical scenario - woodstock is flying his r/c truck around your camping tent and you're trying to prove that you can take control of his r/c truck with your own set of controller. now, keep in mind that you possess a way-above-average knowledge of how signal is encrypted and transferred to and from various wireless devices; and with that being said, you're trying to make his r/c truck respond to your signals by making it think the signal is coming from it's trusted source, when it's not. hence the term spoofing. spoofing = art of deception - definitely not an easy task nor can you find a DIY kit for it but ... you get the picture.

I'm not seeing the big deal...that's like saying I broke into my own car. :noidea:
you'r car is not a good example, sir. you had to physically maneuver your vehicle which makes this a rather different theory since wireless control is the context.

--update--

damn, i see another page added while i was typing up. oh well - i still hope it helped. :noidea:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom