• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

College Educated?

Reminds me of my favorite joke.

Attorney comes home from work late to find his house flooded. He calls a plumber who comes out and fixes the leak in 15 minutes. He then hands the lawyer a bill for $750.

The attorney exclaims "$750?!?! I don't get paid that much practicing law!!!!"

The plumber retorts, "neither did I."

College is not for everyone, and that has little to do with intelligence. This country has a despicable history of demeaning trade and vocational school, while encouraging people who do not have the demeanor and admittedly, sometimes the intelligence, to go to college. I can show you 100 people who can disprove the idea that a college education is a golden ticket.

All that being said - it really depends on what it is you want to do and where your strengths lie. IMHO, don't get a college education just because you can't decide what you ultimately want to do. Take some time and do some different things to figure that out first. Otherwise you risk having a large bill for school, a degree you can't or don't want to use, and a lot of wasted time.

If you are not real careful, you might have the misfortune of becoming a lawyer.
Good advice counselor! ;)

I did. Took me 8 years to get a 4 year degree in mechanical engineering. I was wrenching on cars back then, so I would do a semester on/semester off, or 2 semesters on/ one semester off. It sucked butt, but I'm very glad I did it. Now I work for a laboratory/medical engineering company designing doodads. I have several company paid for patents, make my own scheduled and spend my day farting around tinkering with things for big bucks. I used to like wrenching on cars, but now it's not worth my time. However I still wrench on certain personal cars but not because I enjoy it, but because I trust my work more than anyone else's.

I tried... twice. The problem was, I had to work, I didn't have any support. Well, while working and going to college, it quickly became apparent that I was MUCH better at applying my skills to real world applications over theoretical scenarios. Add that to the fact that what I was learning in college (EET) was already outdated (and most of which I had learned in high school), I decided to focus on advancing in my workplace.

I advanced through my career all the way to director level in two companies. That, unfortunately revealed that I had an incredible distaste for 'politics' and didn't play any games when it came to my responsibilities. The more seasoned executives tried to mold me but my ethics were stronger than my willingness to screw people.

Now, I'm an IT engineer again, work out of the house and make 6 figures; all without a college degree. I know I'm a bad example for college education but I'm a stellar example of what hard work, passion, and drive will get you.

Reminds me of my favorite joke.

Attorney comes home from work late to find his house flooded. He calls a plumber who comes out and fixes the leak in 15 minutes. He then hands the lawyer a bill for $750.

The attorney exclaims "$750?!?! I don't get paid that much practicing law!!!!"

The plumber retorts, "neither did I."

College is not for everyone, and that has little to do with intelligence. This country has a despicable history of demeaning trade and vocational school, while encouraging people who do not have the demeanor and admittedly, sometimes the intelligence, to go to college. I can show you 100 people who can disprove the idea that a college education is a golden ticket.

All that being said - it really depends on what it is you want to do and where your strengths lie. IMHO, don't get a college education just because you can't decide what you ultimately want to do. Take some time and do some different things to figure that out first. Otherwise you risk having a large bill for school, a degree you can't or don't want to use, and a lot of wasted time.

If you are not real careful, you might have the misfortune of becoming a lawyer.

First, let me say you are absolutely correct! This country was built with bare hands and that needs to be celebrated every single day! (Love Alabama's 40 Hour Week song!)

Second, check out what Mike Rowe is doing to bring back the stature of skilled labor. Follow him on FB if you have it. I've not been impressed by a 'celebrity' in a long time but Mike is as genuine as it gets.

First, let me say you are absolutely correct! This country was built with bare hands and that needs to be celebrated every single day! (Love Alabama's 40 Hour Week song!)

Second, check out what Mike Rowe is doing to bring back the stature of skilled labor. Follow him on FB if you have it. I've not been impressed by a 'celebrity' in a long time but Mike is as genuine as it gets.

Yep - he is a good man!

Had I not had such a distaste for algebraic math, I probably would be in a science field. And if I had not accepted the prevailing logic of "you must go to college" there is a good chance I would have wound up in a skilled labor field. I am happiest when working with my hands.

i was talking to someone about this the other day. they are an anthropology major (lol)

they were mentioning that a focus on civil rights and social justice is needed now more than ever. i retorted that people being socially aware doesnt help with jack **** if those same people cant change a tire, balance a budget, or even pay their own taxes

education in this country is what i would like to refer to as making everyone equally useless. i learned most of what i know for myself because i had an interest in it. if i was interested in which celeb does what i would wager id be a hell of alot duller

I have a masters degree. I could have been a professional student--once I figured what my professors wanted I could do well with a minimum of study and effort. My education opened doors for me. I doubt I ever used much I learned in school. Most of what I needed was learned thru OJT.

Interesting thread. Many of you know I'm a psychologist, so yes, I appreciate the value of education. In today's world, it does tend to be pretty important. (The percentage of people with Master's degrees today is the same percentage of folks who got a high school diploma in 1915.) However, I'm also a big believer in the notion that higher ed isn't for everyone. As I told my son one day when he was struggling with attending class at UGA, there are all kinds of solid job possibilities out there that don't require a degree: electricians, plumbers, carpenters all make a comfortable living without higher education.

Someone said "do what you love" earlier, and I completely agree. There's no longer the almost 1:1 relationship between education and earnings today.

Back
Top Bottom