College Educated?

even if they aren't ready for the challenge that independent thinking poses.

Laufen

Are you suggesting that my college education made me think anymore "independently" (other than I paid my own way) than high school did? It was simply more education, my experiences in the Marine Corps and elsewhere gave me far more of an edge in "independent" thinking than any experience in advanced education ever did. IMO your premise is flawed and short sighted.

I went to school after serving for a number of years.....so my take very well my be very different.

Last edited:
Laufen

Are you suggesting that my college education made me think anymore "independently" (other than I paid my own way) than high school did? It was simply more education, my experiences in the Marine Corps and elsewhere gave me far more of an edge in "independent" thinking than any experience in advanced education ever did. IMO your premise is flawed and short sighted, most likely because you would like to think people that do not have a college education are incapable of thinking independently.

I went to school after serving for a number of years.....so my take very well my be very different.

I'm guessing your experience of going to college later in life allowed for a change in perspective. For many kids, college is the first real taste of independence, and for many that independence really fosters lines of thinking that were previously unrealized.

Exposure to a wider range of ideas and philosophies will certainly broaden your perspective if you are open enough to examine your current beliefs and how you came about them. The worst students are usually the ones that come into the classroom trying to maintain their current lines of thinking...the opposite of what education should be.
I'm not suggesting it's the same for everyone for goodness sake, just some.

Last edited:
In today's world you need that that paper to get in the door. On a application their is a box for college degree, if you check no your app goes in the trash in most cases.

In today's world you need that that paper to get in the door. On a application their is a box for college degree, if you check no your app goes in the trash in most cases.
Not necessarily. Depending on the company, position and HR rep, experience comes into play. And a lot more than you'd think. I've known more than a few HR people and they prize experience over paper.

Went for a semester, had a kid, then dropped out. Thankfully I "fell" into a highly specialized IT field. I cannot ask for a better set of circumstances for my career. And I've even been laid off before while in IT. I make very well for a country bumpkin. But I also live below my means.

Not necessarily. Depending on the company, position and HR rep, experience comes into play. And a lot more than you'd think. I've known more than a few HR people and they prize experience over paper.

Ive not experienced that

My background is in facility maintenance
And property management

Physical plant manager. Etc

You might. Might get an interview without a degree. But unless You have a inside track. You ain't getting hired

I can fix, build , or repair just about anything. And if i can't. I know which contractor to call to get it done right

At 99% of places Being able to troublshoot plumbing electrical and HVAC problems doesn't mean squat if you don't have a degree

Where I'm at now. I knew a guy that worked there

We'd worked tigether before at another place
They were looking for someone who could do plumbing electrical and run a bobcat and excavator and take water and soil samples

They got 400 applications in the first 7 days after they posted the opening

Lots of people had bachelors. And a couple had masters

The manager didn't want them since he figured most people with a masters degree wouldn't want to get dirty And would leave as soon as they got A better offer

But I would never have gotten an interview if I hadn't known someone already on the payroll

Depending on what you want to do for a living, a college degree might be required. As far as earning potential, that is entirely up to the individual. There are those with a HS diploma that make more than those with college degree. My father always said to be happy doing whatever it is you are doing for a living. He was successful on a 6th grade education (born in 1926). He also believed in an education, if you wanted it. I wanted it and didn't stop till achieving a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Georgia. I know I would not have my job without at least a Bachelor's degree, but the Ed. D. certainly opens doors.

Depends on what you want to do

I know a guy with a successful computer install repair and maint and security camera install biz

He's a one man show. Looking for someone to take on as an apprentice and take over the biz in 7-10 years

Neither one of his kids are interested in it
Both kids are successful in their chosen fields

Reminds me of my favorite joke.

Attorney comes home from work late to find his house flooded. He calls a plumber who comes out and fixes the leak in 15 minutes. He then hands the lawyer a bill for $750.

The attorney exclaims "$750?!?! I don't get paid that much practicing law!!!!"

The plumber retorts, "neither did I."

College is not for everyone, and that has little to do with intelligence. This country has a despicable history of demeaning trade and vocational school, while encouraging people who do not have the demeanor and admittedly, sometimes the intelligence, to go to college. I can show you 100 people who can disprove the idea that a college education is a golden ticket.

All that being said - it really depends on what it is you want to do and where your strengths lie. IMHO, don't get a college education just because you can't decide what you ultimately want to do. Take some time and do some different things to figure that out first. Otherwise you risk having a large bill for school, a degree you can't or don't want to use, and a lot of wasted time.

If you are not real careful, you might have the misfortune of becoming a lawyer.

Depending on what you want to do for a living, a college degree might be required. As far as earning potential, that is entirely up to the individual. There are those with a HS diploma that make more than those with college degree. My father always said to be happy doing whatever it is you are doing for a living. He was successful on a 6th grade education (born in 1926). He also believed in an education, if you wanted it. I wanted it and didn't stop till achieving a Doctor of Education degree from the University of Georgia. I know I would not have my job without at least a Bachelor's degree, but the Ed. D. certainly opens doors.

Honestly, for what I do, it's a requirement. But I've always been able to prove I've got what it takes. IT is a little different as people can read through your resume and see what you know on paper. I've just been lucky enough to fall into a place where they've overlooked it.

That said, my sister graduated from UGA with a PharmD. I make good, but I don't make that good. LOL

Back
Top Bottom