• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning AR Bolt Tail

I'm slightly OCD and like to get every speck of carbon off the Bolt Tail region. I bought a BONE tool from OTIS, and it does not work well.

What does work is soaking the bolt in Hoppes, scraping it with the wooden end of a Q-tip, wiping it a cloth, rinse and repeat numerous times. But this takes me literally hours.

There's got to be an easier way. Somebody's got to be equally as OCD as me and has figured out a better solution. Please help. :D

You’re not going to get every speck off. I use some old dental picks and scrapers that I got from my dentist. They do well scraping off the tough stuff. I’m OCD as well and spend about an hour cleaning one AR, but you have to give in some when it comes to small amounts of carbon on a rifle you are going to shoot. Make sure you give it a good cleaning right after you shoot. Letting that stuff sit for days is what makes it tough to clean.

Hopes in an ultrasonic cleaner works well..

I'm pretty sure that you'll get 100% of the carbon build up off with these. Here is a link to an older listing. If I renew it, you'll lose all the comments by others.

Enjoy.

Z

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...rags-self-isolation-termination-sail.2196738/

How many gun owners do you think NEVER clean their guns?

I try to clean my Glock after every two visits to the range (so approximately every 500 rounds). The AR I don’t put as many rounds thru so every probably 4 visits to the range. My wife’s gun I clean every time because it will sit for a while as she doesn’t hit the range as often.

I’m sure there are owners that never worry about it at all...thoughts?

How many gun owners do you think NEVER clean their guns?

I try to clean my Glock after every two visits to the range (so approximately every 500 rounds). The AR I don’t put as many rounds thru so every probably 4 visits to the range. My wife’s gun I clean every time because it will sit for a while as she doesn’t hit the range as often.

I’m sure there are owners that never worry about it at all...thoughts?
I know at least one... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom