• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning AR Bolt Tail

JimmyK

Default rank <200 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hunter
27   0
Reaction score
I'm slightly OCD and like to get every speck of carbon off the Bolt Tail region. I bought a BONE tool from OTIS, and it does not work well.

What does work is soaking the bolt in Hoppes, scraping it with the wooden end of a Q-tip, wiping it a cloth, rinse and repeat numerous times. But this takes me literally hours.

There's got to be an easier way. Somebody's got to be equally as OCD as me and has figured out a better solution. Please help. :D

You’re not going to get every speck off. I use some old dental picks and scrapers that I got from my dentist. They do well scraping off the tough stuff. I’m OCD as well and spend about an hour cleaning one AR, but you have to give in some when it comes to small amounts of carbon on a rifle you are going to shoot. Make sure you give it a good cleaning right after you shoot. Letting that stuff sit for days is what makes it tough to clean.

Thanks for the Ideas fellas. I'll try the ultrasonic route first, because I'm nervous about scratching up the bolt.

And 10-4 regarding cleaning it right away.

SchmittZoid SchmittZoid 's Miracle Cleaning Cloths do a GREAT job! And keep on cleaning after they are dirty.

JimmyK JimmyK , I'll need to stop by sometime next week and let you try out a "sample" rag.

A lot of guys like them for exactly what you are describing. Below are some "before and after" photos of a pretty grunged up Glock trigger assembly. I'll show you a few revolver cylinders with some extreme burn marks they took care of as well.

PM me for the details.

Z

Glock Trigger - before.jpg

Glock Trigger -  after.jpg

Revolver #4 - before (a).jpg

Revolver #4 - after (a).jpg

Half & Half (a).jpg

@Miracle-Polish-Cloth (smaller).jpg

JimmyK JimmyK , I'll need to stop by sometime next week and let you try out a "sample" rag.

A lot of guys like them for exactly what you are describing. Below are some "before and after" photos of a pretty grunged up Glock trigger assembly. I'll show you a few revolver cylinders with some extreme burn marks they took care of as well.

PM me for the details.

Z

That’s a fa sho nasty trigger bar haha How much you get for this cloths? How long will one last?

That’s a fa sho nasty trigger bar haha How much you get for this cloths? How long will one last?

They go for 3 for $12, 6 for $22, or 12 for $40 shipped.

How long they last is really a function of how much you use them. I have used them cleaning up stuff for a year or more. They last until you use up the magic wax in them.

I'll try to find an old post where others have reported their successes.

Stay tuned.

Z

Back
Top Bottom