• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Civil War era Rifle

Well, that definitely looks like a Confederate 'horn' rear sight...
This is fascinating.
I'm not a collector of Confederate arms, can't afford them. I'm curious though, I've never heard the term "confederate horn" used to refer to a sight on a rifle. That looks like any typical buckhorn style rear sight you'd see on a rifle from 1840 until yesterday. What is it about the sight that leads you to say it's Confederate?

The lock used to have Texas in it I think but it was very faint
15266.jpeg
15266.jpeg
15267.jpeg

You'll need to take that to somebody who can help..... In person. The pics are awful. The nut at the front of the lockplate is worrisome. I think I can make out ATENT like "Patent" but can't say for sure since the pic is so poor. Locks were shipped to the U.S. from England by the barrel full and other buts too. Assembled here by rifle makers and sold all over the country.

You'll need to take that to somebody who can help..... In person. The pics are awful. The nut at the front of the lockplate is worrisome. I think I can make out ATENT like "Patent" but can't say for sure since the pic is so poor. Locks were shipped to the U.S. from England by the barrel full and other buts too. Assembled here by rifle makers and sold all over the country.
This'un kilt yankees!

Back
Top Bottom