• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Civil War era Rifle

C ountry

Default rank <1500 posts
Old but still Bold, CSA Blood
1   0
Reaction score
I don't have pics at this time. A question about ancestors Kentucky style rifle. This guy was in the Sumter Flying Artillery during his lifetime and his old rifle remains in the family. Kentucky style, looks to be around 32 caliber. Full wood stock to muzzle. Percussion cap. Many years ago I'm pretty sure the word Texas was on the side of the lock but it was very faint. In the early 80s I shot it with a very light charge and it was deadly accurate. Can anyone tell me more about this kind of old rifle?

Like any old gun, pics are important to ID'ing it.
Including close-up photos of the lock, the sights, the cross-pin or wedge that holds the barrel to the stock, and the patch box (if it has one).

One thing to be aware of-- many old flintlock guns were converted to percussion-cap guns back in the middle 19th century, because once the percussion system was put on the market, pretty much everybody realized it was far superior to flint, and having to prime a pan with loose powder. It made sense to convert a useful flintlock, rather than retire it and pay for a whole new gun as a replacement.

Thank you. I'm attaching a pic giving a little history of the owner of the rifle in question. His name was John Godwin
0710181615a.jpg

Like any old gun, pics are important to ID'ing it.
Including close-up photos of the lock, the sights, the cross-pin or wedge that holds the barrel to the stock, and the patch box (if it has one).

One thing to be aware of-- many old flintlock guns were converted to percussion-cap guns back in the middle 19th century, because once the percussion system was put on the market, pretty much everybody realized it was far superior to flint, and having to prime a pan with loose powder. It made sense to convert a useful flintlock, rather than retire it and pay for a whole new gun as a replacement.
My brother is taking pics & forwarding. I am posting them in thread

Back
Top Bottom