• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chinese Clones of the Plano 1312 Poly Ammo Can

Piglatinhater

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
82   3
Reaction score
Like many people here, I got tired of having all my ammo and gear in boxes laying around the man cave. I didn't want the larger .50 cal cans as they get really heavy once you start piling in ammo. After looking around I found Walmart had Plano 1312's for $4.88 + free shipping to your store and I came across some Chinese copies of the Plano 1312 (simply called BearArms ammo cans) on sale from RuralKing for $2.99. I bought 10 of each just to see how they differed.

http://www.ruralking.com/plano-molding-1312-field-ammo-box-od-green-1312-50.html

20160322_184440.jpg

Comparing the Original Plano Boxes to the RuralKing Clones:
-Same Dimensions: 11.88 x 5.38 x 7.38"
-Plano boxes are stamped Made in the USA vs Clones are Made if China
-Both have o-rings and are water tight unless fully loaded (think 500rds of 7.62x39). Then the lids will sag (this is for both Plano/Clones)
-Slightly different shade of green and the handles are different
-Both are stackable and feature recessed handles
-Sale Prices on both: Plano $4.88 vs Clone $2.99
-Reviews: Plano 4.5/5 Stars on Amazon (300+ reviews) vs Clones 4.8/5 Stars on RuralKing (280+ reviews)

20160322_184537.jpg

You can fit alot of ammo in, but it depends on what kind of boxes the ammo is in. Example, I could fit 500 rounds of Tula
7.62x39 that uses the smaller boxes but only 400 rounds of 7.62x39 Golden Tiger that uses the slighly larger boxes. I was able to easily fit 8 AR mags but I'm sure you could fit more if you are an efficient packer.

Would I recommend?
Yes, if you are looking for a simple, inexpensive way to store and organize ammo/mags/gear/misc. If you are planning on going to Space/20,000 leagues under the sea or anything else extreme I wouldn't recommend them. You really can't beat the price tag of $2.99. 10 shipped comes out to be $40.20 shipped to the metro area. You are limited to 12 (one full case) per order.

Just an update the sale price is over. Regular price for the RuralKing clones are $4.49 which is still cheaper than the Plano Boxes at Walmart Online (who's sale also just ended) $18.73. Depending on what your local Walmart carries, you may find the Plano's locally stocked for the $4.88 price tag. If your Walmart still has the Plano Boxes at $4.88, I would buy those over the Clones just to support American Made but if they are $18.73 like the website, I would buy the Clones. For those of you who aren't in a hurry, I would wait until the Clones roll back on sale again.

Maybe they should have given you a kickback for helping them sell their Ammo cans! Haha I know I wouldn't have found them without you. Heck I've never even heard of rural King :D

Think we will just stay with the, military type cans, if you drop one of them they do not explode and shatter, saving a few bucks just isn't worth it to us, plus why send any more money to CHINA, to help foreign manufacturers, that just copy whatever they can.

Plano has a facility in MADISON, Ga.

Back
Top Bottom