Chickens in SHTF

rawolfee

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
One of things my family and I are doing to prep is trying to come up with multiple food sources (besides just stock piling canned and dried goods). We have recently started a chicken coop in our back yard. This will provide us with eggs, fertilizer for the garden, and meat (if it comes down to that). My only concern is feed for the chickens. What are other people doing to prepare for their chickens to survive after the feed stores shut down? We have dogs too, but we just plan on table scraps for them. I know chickens can also feed on some table scraps, but i am thinking that will effect their egg productivity. Just wanting some advice from other chicken owners that are preppers.

We have just gotten into chickens this year. We also have dogs that would love a chicken snack, so no free ranging.

We (my wife) digs em worms ,grubs, catches grass hoppers, crickets, beatles etc... Along with cutting them some greens, grass, trimmings from the garden, table fair leftovers that the dogs won't eat we hope our chickens will do OK.

May take a little work but eating eggs beats the s*** out of eating worms

I personally have alot of chickens, and letting them forage is great, but be sure to re coop them at night. If not predators will kill them and you can never find your eggs =P

True, be careful of foxes, coyotes, etc.

I saw something interesting on a documentary, I think it was food inc.

The guy built some cages like 15'x15'x2' (making up those dimensions), with no bottoms, and every day or two he would just push them to the next patch of grass/bugs/etc for the chickens to graze on, and the droppings from the day before would stimulate new growth on the previous patch.

Last edited:
They love clover and green grass. Most breeds will forage in fairly close proximity to the coop and return to the coop before dark if you leave it open. Also, a rooster helps, because he will alert the flock if there is danger in the area and they normally respond well to a rooster's warning clucks and clicks and will move to safety.

They do love scraps, especially fruit (watermelon and tomatoes!!) and most veggies but a book I read cautioned against feeding them any type of meat scraps. I don't feed mine meat, although I've talked to people who claim they feed theirs meat.

One key to good egg production is also making sure they have a continuous supply of fresh, clean water and a clean, comfy, private nesting box area. They like the nesting box(es) to be dark and snug.

Good luck !!

Back
Top Bottom