• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cerakote, stainless, or traditional finish for my new "go to" deer hunting rifle?

noverby

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Cerakote, stainless, or traditional finish for my new "go to" deer rifle? I would like it to be tough as a tank, low maintenance, and worry free. I've heard hesitation in some when they talk about having to tote something in the woods with a silver finish. What are your thoughts and experience with these non traditional options?​

I don't like stainless for hunting. I've been busted a couple of time when using it and am sure the game spotted the stainless finish on the rifle. Traditional blued is great, but you need to be careful to get it dry and oiled as soon as possible after hunting in bad weather. This is especially true of a Matte finish. They hold moisture more easily and longer.

All of my hunting rifles are now Cerakoted. Very tough and almost zero maintenance.

I'd say it depends on what kind of hunting you're doing. If you're sitting in a blind it most likely doesn't matter. If you're in a stand and you're in the direct sunlight ss might reflect more than the other two. Spot and stalk is another animal all together, it might matter but wind direction and overall movement matter more. I've had all three and have killed deer with all three. Cerakote is the most maintenance free followed by stainless. I personally like the look of nice blueing the best but periodically wiping it with oil is a must. I would guess it's more how much effort you want to spend on the rifle than what the deer will notice.

I must hunt stupid deer. I've carried stainless rifles for 20 years or more. I've never had the rifle spook a deer - at least until the bright flash at the barrel popped out.
If you're in a tree-stand or blind it's not much of an issue. But if you're on the ground it can very definitely become an issue. The one that I'm absolutely sure of was an incident with a Waterbuck. I was about 70 or 80 yards away from him in deep shadow. As I brought the rifle up (slowly) the barrel passed through a ray of sunshine. His head instantly snapped around and locked on my location. He stayed there for about a second and then was gone. That was the one and only chance I ever had at a Waterbuck and the stainless rifle cost me him.

I just ordered this set cerakoted in Graphite. It will be my first cerakote build. I hope it turns out alright.
cdn3.volusion.com_tbwku.tdcyy_v_vspfiles_photos_Builders_40_XLH_1.jpg

I would stay away from anything that could possibly give off a flash like stainless. One less thing you have to worry about grabbing a deer's attention. I think that would spell disaster more than once.

I guess I could understand a polished stainless, but 99% of rifles are matte. No real difference between that and matte blue (like most rifles are now). Most of my hunting is ground blinds and box stands (no more than 6 feet off of the ground). 10 years ago I was the guy 25 feet up a tree. Like I said, I've never had a deer spook at the glare from a gun.

I use my firearms like the tools that I consider them as. I have 4 handguns that are cerakoated. 2 factory and 2 aftermarket. All 4 have some holster wear, so the finish isn't everlasting, just like stainless isn't rustproof.

Back
Top Bottom