• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car title ? from a deceased owner?

sorry to hear about your neighbor/friend. tell us more about the story on the car...cmon now, there is always a good story to honor a friend

As of now, the car is bonded and insured. I'll go to the tag office Monday to get title and hopefully tag.. If all that play out, I'll update with all the processes I had to go through..

Update.

Here is how the process worked for me.

1. Get the cop to come out and do the T-22 form.

2. Go to the Ins. company and get a bond. $100 a year for 3 years.

3. Go to the tag office. get sent away because you don't have a Carfax.

4. Go home, spend $39.99 on a Carfax.

5 . Go back to tag office with Carfax, T-22, Bond and ins. Spend an hour double checking and signing everything, pay the TVAT and tag and title fee.

6. Go home, put tag on and GO......

Total cost was $100 for first year of bond, $$40.00 Carfax, and TVAT tag and title, $230.00 and I already had a plate I could use.

I really hate the ****ing TVAT $206.00 on a 20 year old beat to hell and back CRV is..... well you know and because I didn't haul my wife around for the whole shebang my Niece will have to pay it again in December.

In GA if it's newer than 85 you must have a title. Best thing to do is bond it. Either get a T22 form from the tag office or print one from the internet Call your local PD or Sheriff and have them come call in the VIN and fill put the form. Take that T22 to an insurance agency that does title bonds. They can all do them but some won't . Gonna cost between $120.00 and $150.00 . Take all that paperwork back to the tag office and have them send it off to Atlanta . Don't mention anything about it being abandoned. If you do that then the ONLY legal route for the car is for a licensed towing outfit to come remove it from your property and then impound it for the towing and storage fees. And since the last legal owner is dead they won't be able to contact him and the car is doomed to the crusher.

Do the title bond route exactly how I described and within 2 or 3 months you will have a title . I THINK you can tag it and drive it while you're waiting but not sure. The liingest I ever waited on one was close to 3 months. Usually it's 2 to 3 weeks. Since there's no liens or living owner to protest the bond it should go easy.
source.gif

Back
Top Bottom