• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Car title ? from a deceased owner?

Rivershot

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
OK, I'll try to explain what's going on.

My good friend and neighbor passed away in early Feb. He didn't have much in the way of assets. Ex-wife got the house and and 50% of his pension, his only son in Boston got a few bucks from his bank account and a life ins. policy. In other words, not enough to go through the process of becoming an executor. His son in "Boston" is not interested in the $1500-2,000 car.

The car has been at my house since early January and I don't know what to do with it. The title was not in his house, but I don't think there was a loan or anything on it ar I was paying his bills for him (his money not mine) since the middle of last year.

I looked at the process for a title bond, but it states that it can't be an abandoned vehicle. Well he didn't abandon it and I have no type mechanics lien or anything else to go by, he just died, and I now have more yard art.

The car, 99 CRV is pretty worn out bur would make a good first car for my niece.

Any knowledge or thoughts?

2 options:
1) apply for lost title to be sent to his former address. Then get the widow to sign it
2) title bond. Probably cost you $100-150 from your insurance agent. You need to go the local precinct, the cop will pull history for you and verify no liens and then give you a form. Then you go to the tag office with those things (+ insurance car, + emissions when applicable) and they will charge you a few dollars more.

Not abandoned. It’s 20 years old. I don’t think you need a title. Get the son to send you a bill of sale. You should get a title bond with that.
In GA if it's newer than 85 you must have a title. Best thing to do is bond it. Either get a T22 form from the tag office or print one from the internet Call your local PD or Sheriff and have them come call in the VIN and fill put the form. Take that T22 to an insurance agency that does title bonds. They can all do them but some won't . Gonna cost between $120.00 and $150.00 . Take all that paperwork back to the tag office and have them send it off to Atlanta . Don't mention anything about it being abandoned. If you do that then the ONLY legal route for the car is for a licensed towing outfit to come remove it from your property and then impound it for the towing and storage fees. And since the last legal owner is dead they won't be able to contact him and the car is doomed to the crusher.

Do the title bond route exactly how I described and within 2 or 3 months you will have a title . I THINK you can tag it and drive it while you're waiting but not sure. The liingest I ever waited on one was close to 3 months. Usually it's 2 to 3 weeks. Since there's no liens or living owner to protest the bond it should go easy.

In GA if it's newer than 85 you must have a title. Best thing to do is bond it. Either get a T22 form from the tag office or print one from the internet Call your local PD or Sheriff and have them come call in the VIN and fill put the form. Take that T22 to an insurance agency that does title bonds. They can all do them but some won't . Gonna cost between $120.00 and $150.00 . Take all that paperwork back to the tag office and have them send it off to Atlanta . Don't mention anything about it being abandoned. If you do that then the ONLY legal route for the car is for a licensed towing outfit to come remove it from your property and then impound it for the towing and storage fees. And since the last legal owner is dead they won't be able to contact him and the car is doomed to the crusher.

Do the title bond route exactly how I described and within 2 or 3 months you will have a title . I THINK you can tag it and drive it while you're waiting but not sure. The liingest I ever waited on one was close to 3 months. Usually it's 2 to 3 weeks. Since there's no liens or living owner to protest the bond it should go easy.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll get started on it next week.

Why not go down to the tag office and ask ? This can't be that unusual a situation.
It's not unusual at all. And the ladies at most tag offices are usually very helpful. But as I said earlier some situations require not showing all your cards. This is one of those situations. If the OP goes telling everyone the car is abandoned that's gonna screw up the whole deal. All he needs to do is get the forms I told him about and tell the tag office he wound up with the car when the friend died. And that's all that needs to be said.

One thing I learned very early in the car bidness is when to shut up. You can talk yourself right past the sale and out of a deal before you know it. This is a similar type of thing.

OK, I'll try to explain what's going on.

My good friend and neighbor passed away in early Feb. He didn't have much in the way of assets. Ex-wife got the house and and 50% of his pension, his only son in Boston got a few bucks from his bank account and a life ins. policy. In other words, not enough to go through the process of becoming an executor. His son in "Boston" is not interested in the $1500-2,000 car.

The car has been at my house since early January and I don't know what to do with it. The title was not in his house, but I don't think there was a loan or anything on it ar I was paying his bills for him (his money not mine) since the middle of last year.

I looked at the process for a title bond, but it states that it can't be an abandoned vehicle. Well he didn't abandon it and I have no type mechanics lien or anything else to go by, he just died, and I now have more yard art.

The car, 99 CRV is pretty worn out bur would make a good first car for my niece.

Any knowledge or thoughts?

Did you have a power of attorney?

It's not unusual at all. And the ladies at most tag offices are usually very helpful. But as I said earlier some situations require not showing all your cards. This is one of those situations. If the OP goes telling everyone the car is abandoned that's gonna screw up the whole deal. All he needs to do is get the forms I told him about and tell the tag office he wound up with the car when the friend died. And that's all that needs to be said.

One thing I learned very early in the car bidness is when to shut up. You can talk yourself right past the sale and out of a deal before you know it. This is a similar type of thing.

Well I found out today from the officer that filled out the T-22 form the car does have a lien on it. He said it could've been paid and just not updated. He did at least tell me who it was with, and I know he had life insurance on a loan from that company.

I'll go by there tomorrow and find out. They know me, as I was the making the payments for him and were very appreciative of me comping in and giving them a copy of the death certificate.

Back
Top Bottom