• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Canning Fail

How did the lid failure cause the pressure build up that swelled the lids. I thought that the process was to heat the contents with the lid loose and then tighten the lid when hot and that created a vacuum during the high temp phase that also killed all living organisms that could cause spoilage. I only understand the process from a theoretical perspective. I have helped but never questioned the full process.

Just trying to understand the details of what can lead to failure.
The way I have always canned is to tighten the rings hand tight, then put the jars in the pressure canner. In the case of green beans, 55 minutes in the pressure canner.

How did the lid failure cause the pressure build up that swelled the lids. I thought that the process was to heat the contents with the lid loose and then tighten the lid when hot and that created a vacuum during the high temp phase that also killed all living organisms that could cause spoilage. I only understand the process from a theoretical perspective. I have helped but never questioned the full process.

Just trying to understand the details of what can lead to failure.

10 minutes ago I finished making up about 16 pints of salsa from stuff in our garden. Going to can it soon. Ball Book of Canning is your friend. Some stuff requires pressure canning at specific pressures for a specific amount of time. Others only require submerged water bath canning in boiling water for a specific amount of time. Look up your product, the book will tell you the process for specific jar sizes. Been canning 10 years now. Lots of fun. Always use ball lids and bands. Center the lid, finger tighten the band then process as directed.

Well, we ran out of Ball canning jars, so I picked up some pure garbage Anchor Hocking quart canning jars at Walmart. This is what you get for not purchasing a quality product. My beautiful wife will redo these in the morning after she buys a quality product. Please spread the word.
Problem with lids, not jars. Lids are made out of thinner gauge steel. Look like normal/narrow mouth jars.
Replace the lids with Walmart brand, you will be fine. Walmart lids are the same gauge as Ball lids.

PS Lids sealed too soon, before you water bath/pressure canned them. It could not release the pressure once jars were heated. I bet you dollars to donuts there were lids pops before, or soon after you put jars in the water. I had the same experience with Chinese lids that came in the set with 1.5pint jars. Replaced them and reheated.

PPS I had a Ball jar crack on me this year, after I put it in the pot. Bottom just sheered off. Lost a quart of peaches. But **** happens, and that jar was probably several decades old.

Back
Top Bottom