Can you eat meat of animals you’re allergic to?

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
Title says it. An example: I see a lot of people raising rabbits for a protein source. I’m deathly allergic to rabbits, but far as I know it’s a dander issue. But the question remains, if there’s a certain animal you’re allergic to, is that meat safe for you to eat? I tried to research this but couldn’t find a whole lot of info that wasn’t tick related.

I dont know. I know my grandfather preached to never let the hair of animal touch the meat or it would taste different. An old man that lived down the road would clean goats and always said the key is to wash your hands and not let the hair touch. It tasted different when he cleaned it vs another guy.

Depends, when I was diagnosed with a milk allergy I didn't eat beef for a year on the advise of my DR. I'm still allergic to milk and it's byproducts but can eat beef with on problem. Got bit by a tick and had to stop eating it for a couple of years as I would get sick. Eventually that faded away also and I resumed eating beef. Others that I've known can't touch anything that they are allergic to. You can have a blood allergy test ran on food to see.

Physiologically the dander vs the meat inside would be akin to being allergic to the ink on the label that’s on a can of soup, so not a problem..

BUT some of us are more visual-mental influenced or psychosomatic, so can become physically ill because our brains “think” we’ll become sick.. so we do.

True, wife gets duck eggs from a guy at work. The first time I ate them I got sick, probably had nothing to do with the eggs but I have a gag reflex when they are cooking now.

I get super itchy if I touch deer fur but I have no issues eating them. I also have a very long list of food I’m allergic/intolerant to… this is by no means a suggestion to eat it… but I have been fine with eating rabbit and deer while being super itchy if I’m around them.

I've had extensive exposure to the "science" of food allergies. (Divorce and custody issues involving food allergies)

No issues with eating the meat of animals you are "allergic" to, dairy, dander, etc.

Back
Top Bottom