Can a 10-rnd mag extension cause low-brass shotgun rnds to collapse? (And other ???)

If you dont mind, I would like to shed my 2c from my experience and training.

The low brass will jam a semi-auto, last Sat at our shotgun course, a member on here had a 1100 that was having issues with low brass. That is the nature of the beast and one reason why many LEO/Military have gone back to pump or in the rare occasion gone to the M3 (even with gas regulated, low recoil and less than lethal still act up) to change over from pump to semi.

The barrel for a HD shotgun is not a beauty contest, it is about using what you have and knowing how to properly use it. I have cleared many of rooms with 20+inch barrels, if you do not "lead" with your barrel, you are fine, but yes, a 18-20" is ideal for doorway's but then again, even with a pistol, an average person will be not be comfy in a doorway (nor should you stay in a doorway)

If you utilize a shotgun for HD, you must not lead with the barrel and you will have to give more distance to "slice the pie" when cornering. If it will be a HD firearm, then I would use #4 Buckshot, it will cycle fine, but give you 27rnds of .24cal shot going out the barrel.

The "choke" will just constrict the rounds that much more. Last Saturday I have students shooting 7 1/2 birdshot at 7yrds and pattering nicely, as the buckshot was still in the 8" pattern, so a choke on a HD shotgun would not matter much at the close proximity, only the fact it could increase your chances of actually missing your intended target.

I will share this and leave it at that. I have 2 shotguns.
1. Mossberg 500 in 20ga with 18.5" barrel. That is my home defense shotgun. It has nothing on it but a light and 5rd capacity with buttstock shell holder. I keep #4 buckshot in it and have kept #6 birdshot. Slugs in the buttstock in case I need to change over. The buckshot will go through any door in my house and not penetrate through the next. The shot will also go through one layer of Sheetrock and into the target, but nothing beyond. It patterns tight through a cylinder bore out to 10yrds, beyond it's intended purpose. Its low recoil and ease of use allow my wife and oldest child to be able to operate it without concern of the dreaded recoil of my 12ga.

2. Remington 870 12 ga. This is my training shotgun and SHTF go to shotgun. It is set up completely different with various rounds that have different purpose. It is not used as an HD, but as my everything shotgun and stay's accessible in another part of the house. It is loaded for the fist two shots to be #6 birdshot, which at 5yrds patterns 8", allowing me to swallow up the hallway and the entire chest size area.

In all, it does not matter what length or how "FUGLY" it looks, it matters how "FUGLY" you can make your threat look afterwards

Back
Top Bottom