Can a 10-rnd mag extension cause low-brass shotgun rnds to collapse? (And other ???)

h34choctaw

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
118   0
Reaction score
I have a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge that I am interested in putting a 10-rnd extension on. It has a 23" barrel and I think I have room to put a 10-rnd extension on it. I have read on some forums that the pressure of the mag tube extension spring can cause some of the cheapie low-brass shotgun loads to collapse in the tube. Anybody shed light on this?? Also since this is going to be my primary HD long arm can anybody make a reccomendation on worthwhile mods to spend money on as opposed to some of the more "tactical" gimmicks that are just a waste of money? I would like to shoot the Rio brand #2 buckshot since its cheap and I can readily practice with it. Any thought how effect that would be if I put the tightest choke in it and concentrate that in the tightest pattern possible for "master bedroom" distances??? I know about "O" and "OOO" being the best but was thinking a tightly patterned #1or#2 would work at 10' or 20'. It would pattern about fist sized would it not???

Yes, it will cause your low brass round to not feed correctly. I have many 1100's and I can confirm this will be an issue. I have a problem shooting low brass out of a 20ga 1100 that just has plug removed to hold 5! The good news is the bulk boxes of Federal at Wal-Mart are made with high brass! So you can have high brass 20ga shells at a decent price!

First mod I'd recommend for HD is getting rid of that 23" barrel.

I agree, but he would have to maintain that length to use the longer tube-

Just my opinion, but it would look FUGLY with the magazine tube being longer than the barrel ;)

Plus I think 22" is minimum for cycling a wide range of loads (from what I gather). I originally wanted to chop it down but decided being able to shoot whatever I can get my hands-on would be more important. Looks like if I want to mount a 10-rnd mag I will need to shoot high brass though.

WHY?

My 3 gun shotgun has a 24 inch barrel. If your mag tube sticks out that far why not get the extra velocity of the longer barrel?

So skip the tube extension. Barrels 23" and 24" are just too long to really maneuver around inside a building, going around corners, coming out of a room into the hallway, etc.

I agree, but he would have to maintain that length to use the longer tube-

Just my opinion, but it would look FUGLY with the magazine tube being longer than the barrel ;)

That, it would...however, HE is going to look fugly when someone is coming down the hall and he's banging his 23" barrel around trying to aim it at the bad guy...

Back
Top Bottom