Buying a truck without a title

believe the popo has to verify the vin on some form before you can tag, had to do this on a motorcycle. Unless it is currently tagged, you will have tavt tax to pay

the tag has nothing to do with the tavt.

The tavt is a sales tax that has been renamed.
It's for the title transfer, that used to be 18.00.
Now it's 6.5% of the purchase price, or (if you let them) whatever the state values the vehicle.

If you have the purchase price on your bos, you might have to get ugly and file appeals, but they will usually come around, or you can just roll over and give whatever they take from you.

I haven't purchased anything lately that didn't require a tag, but the bos can save you a lot of money, if you are buying a fixer upper.

the tag has nothing to do with the tavt.

The tavt is a sales tax that has been renamed.
It's for the title transfer, that used to be 18.00.
Now it's 6.5% of the purchase price, or (if you let them) whatever the state values the vehicle.

If you have the purchase price on your bos, you might have to get ugly and file appeals, but they will usually come around, or you can just roll over and give whatever they take from you.

I haven't purchased anything lately that didn't require a tag, but the bos can save you a lot of money, if you are buying a fixer upper.

6.75% and they will value it, even if it's higher than stated on the BOS

I have bought two used trucks and they did not value them, but went by what I paid for them.

Also I learned last week that the TAVT only applies to motorized items and not trailers. Trailers still have ad valorem each year.

The name on the bill of sale will need to match the last person who had the truck registered.

This

Dont need a title
But the name on the BOS has to be the name in the states computer as the current owner

You will have to pay the sales tax / TAVT
But in a 82 that won't be much

Only if you let them. I don't roll over and play dead, just because they are with the government and came to help.

I've been there and done that, and fixing to do it two more times.

If you don't go the extra mile and stand up against extortion and the corrupt government, well I guess you get what you deserve.

I let them know real quick that I could part it out and make money and the state wouldn't see a dime of that.

Half of something is better than all of nothing.

It's an 82 Toyota. The tag office doesn't care who's name is on the BOS. They'll run a VIN check and then issue a title in your name. That's all. No big deal, Nothing to worry about.

Call your local tag office instead of relying on advice you get on a gun forum.

It's an 82 Toyota. The tag office doesn't care who's name is on the BOS. They'll run a VIN check and then issue a title in your name. That's all. No big deal, Nothing to worry about.

Call your local tag office instead of relying on advice you get on a gun forum.

No and nope

If the name of the last owner In the state computer is not the name on the BOS you won't get a tag or title with your name on it

Other wise you could just walk thru a parking lot and copy the VIN on any pre 85 vehicle and walk in to the tag office and register it in your name

Been there done that.about two years ago

Got really pissed off at the guy I bought the truck from

And they really don't like to issue titles on 25 + year old Vehicles

Sometimes they will if you have a current title and you request one. But if you don't have one for a vehicle that doesn't Require one. They wont issue one

They issued one for the 80 Chevy I recently purchased from AZ with an AZ title

But a few years ago my aunt gave me a 82 Chevy with a GA title and they absolutely would not issue me a title

I got a registration and a tag and asked to leave

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom