• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bullet seating question

UXO

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
6   0
Reaction score
Hey fellas, quick question for those that have been doing this longer than I, which should be pretty much everybody. Getting ready to load my first .223 rounds. My brass (once fired IMI) is prepped and each case checked out in my Lyman case length/headspace gauge. Trimmed case length is a pretty consistent 1.7535. The pills I'm using are Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT with cannelure. I made 2 dummy rounds (no primer or powder) to get my bullet seating die set correctly. At a COAL of 2.200" as called for by Varget (my powder), Lee (my dies), and Hornady (my bullets) the case mouth is up passed the cannelure on the bullet. I was under the impression that the mouth should land somewhere on the cannelure. Neck tension on the bullets is good, but this just seemed odd to me. Is there anything to be concerned about here? I haven't actually loaded any live rounds yet, just wanted to clear this up before I start dropping powder. Thanks for any help.

Back it out to put it half way and measure and then see if it's sort enough to fit in a mag.

Measures 2.2335" when seated to about midway of the cannelure. Haven't checked it in a mag yet but anything under 2.260" should fit.

All things being equal, is there any danger of underpressure if I seat the bullets at the cannelure? Same charge at an increased volume=less pressure, no? I know we aren't talking about a huge difference here, but I just want to make sure I'm in the clear. I find it odd that Hornady would call for a COAL that wouldn't fall into the cannelure. Maybe they based it on using brass at the max length (1.760")?

Thanks for your help guys.

I don't remember the max off the top of my head, but I'm certain that 2.20 is just the minimum COL. I trim mine to 1.750 and seat at the cannelure to achieve a 2.20 COL. Don't know if this helps any, but I hope it provides some insight!

A standard 55 grain with cannelure, seat it at the cannelure. It will be fine.

Yes, it's not a hard concept to grasp if you understand why the cannelure exist-UXO see the link I provided on my first post (#2).

In general with magazine fed weapons the COAL is what will still feed without binding or the bullet falls out of the case. The cannelure helps prevent bullet set back in a semi-auto or growing in a heavy recoiling revolver.

Your seating issues with .223/5.56 ammo for semi-autos will occur when you load heavy bullets. 75-90 grainers are just too long for the magazine of an AR style rifle. 55 grainers should not be any issue and when it has a cannelure it becomes a non-question as you have your target for seating/crimping.

Yes, it's not a hard concept to grasp if you understand why the cannelure exist-UXO see the link I provided on my first post (#2).

In general with magazine fed weapons the COAL is what will still feed without binding or the bullet falls out of the case. The cannelure helps prevent bullet set back in a semi-auto or growing in a heavy recoiling revolver.

Your seating issues with .223/5.56 ammo for semi-autos will occur when you load heavy bullets. 75-90 grainers are just too long for the magazine of an AR style rifle. 55 grainers should not be any issue and when it has a cannelure it becomes a non-question as you have your target for seating/crimping.

I understand why the cannelure is there, which is what had me questioning the seating depth to begin with when the case mouth didn't fall somewhere on the cannelure. As I said, these are my first reloads so I was trying to go by the books as much as possible. That's why I was hesitant to back the bullets out to cannelure depth.

I greatly apprecaite everybody's input and sharing of information!

This is a very solid question that many have asked me in the past.

Many times people look at a cartridge loaded to a specific length with the cannelure well above the case mouth and assume the loader didn't do something right.

The specs vary when loading for different applications.

Back
Top Bottom