• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

build a chopper from a kit

Not a chopper but I built this bike for my wife from scatch everything but the internal engine work but it wasnt a kit. Its an '83 shovel in an '86 softail frame. FLT front end and FLH style floorboards and such. A turnkey kit would be great. I spent countless hours just looking up part numbers for fasteners...nuts and bolts, and waiting weeks for orders to come in. It would of been nice to have everything at hand. Lot of fun though.You should do it!

Family Pictures 011.jpg

Family Pictures 012.jpg

Last edited:
This style of motorcycle has always confused me. Like riding a mutant horse when there are plenty of examples of decent ones.

I met Hank Young years ago when Indian Larry's last few bikes were on display in Marietta. HY is a great guy and builds custom cars, too.

People didn't understand why I was so upset when Indian Larry passed so I asked them how they felt when Dale Earnhardt passed. They seemed to get it after that.

I just located some printed photos that we took at that event ( back before digital cameras were popular). There were "do not touch" signs everywhere but we couldn't resist sitting on a couple! That guy sure new how to build a wicked bike and his paint jobs were out of control!

I used to enjoy building from scratch. Back then, there really wasn't anyone offering "kits", at least not ones that I'd want to put together. Started building Harleys back in the late 80s, before the craze made everything pricey, before yuppies with more money than sense plopped $25K on a new Heritage without as much as 100 yards of pavement behind them on 2 wheels. Back when HD sold more drop kits than anything else....
Here's the last one I put together, finished it before my daughter was born. I pretty much collected all my parts from swap meets and local guys, and made a bunch of parts if I had it in my mind but noone had it in their catalog. I no longer ride or build bikes, but one day I'll get back into it.
009.jpg010.jpg012.jpg013.jpg

Back
Top Bottom