• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Breakfast in the Woods FAIL

JohnS

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
Today's mission, go have breakfast in the woods.
I had with me two eggs, bacon, and coffee. I had a small cast iron pan, a CGI cup and a Stanley nester.
I invited @Survivor Johnny over for coffee, but he thought the 2 hour drive each was was a little excessive.

I wanted to test out at two burner rock stove. I saw them a lot in the outback of Brazil years ago.
Looks like this...
B1.jpg

Rocks form a platform for the pots. You push sticks in the cracks for more heat, pull them out for less heat.

Or so that's the way I saw it done....

B2.jpg

Got a fire going. I was going to build up a bed of hot embers and then move the fire down in the cracks to start boiling water.
Boy was I wrong.
The fire looked like it was well on it's way, but it just wouldn't survive in the cracks.
After an hour of fighting, I decided to go back home and lick my wounds and rethink my game plan.

The ground was damp as was the fuel wood, but you have to work with what you have on hand.

I'm thinking not enough heat volume and not enough airflow into the fire.

It might have been better with taller rocks. I had to wade up the creek a ways to find these rocks. They were about as big as I could pitch up the 8' high bank.

I should have collected a lot more twigs and pencil size sticks, like three times as much as I had.

So Breakfast in the Woods turned into Lunch in the woods.

New plan with a different stove.
L1.jpg

Same rocks, just on edge to reflect the heat back in. Wood on the bottom with gaps for air flow.
a lot more pencil sized sticks on hand.
This forced me to make a tripod to hang the target pot of water.
L2.jpg

L4.jpg

One of my goals in this test is to be as efficient with the wood as possible.
This open side allowed for more air. Just push the sticks in as they burn.
The back rock is supposed to draw the smoke back and up out of the way. It did most of the time, cough, cough.

Just as the water started to boil, it started raining.

Back
Top Bottom