• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BOB Question

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I have some basic things together and I am getting more but one thing I don't have is perhaps the most important and thats the actual bag. I'm looking online and I see the sites list cubic inches and the dimensions but I don't know if the bag is big enough for what I need. So I was wondering if you guys could give some suggestions as to what size bag you use for BOB and what type? I don't think I want a huge backpacking bag, although I know it would be big enough it seems like it might draw too much attention and also be a little on the heavy side. I was thinking about something like this:

Main Compartment: 16" x 20" x 7" = 2,240 cu in
EYAIIIMSFG.jpg

I'm using a Camelbak BFM in Foliage Green for my BOB (72hr kit). \
i66.photobucket.com_albums_h250_TheyHateMe_CamelbakBFM_1.jpg

I also have a couple other bags that are more "Get Home Bags" or overnight type setup. One is a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II and the newest I've purchased is a Camelbak Linchpin (so I can have more emphasis on water and weapons in a patrol size bag).

It's up to you to decide what you need your kit to accomplish and go from there. Your specific level of fitness, your surroundings, your family's needs, your travel/commute situation, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions and pics guys. I will research these. I do want a smaller pack that is carry friendly like the Maxpedition packs. Something I can keep in the car with some water, a little food, space blanket and firestarters.

I also need a small pack for my 10 year old daughter.

Thanks for the suggestions and pics guys. I will research these. I do want a smaller pack that is carry friendly like the Maxpedition packs. Something I can keep in the car with some water, a little food, space blanket and firestarters.

I also need a small pack for my 10 year old daughter.

The Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II has served well as a "Get Home Bag" stowed in my trunk for the past couple years. I was able to keep water, food, fire, and shelter items in the bag ready to go at all times. There is plenty of room for all the basics and I was able to keep the weight down to about 20 pounds, so it was easy enough to carry at distance if I needed to leave the car behind.

The Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II has served well as a "Get Home Bag" stowed in my trunk for the past couple years. I was able to keep water, food, fire, and shelter items in the bag ready to go at all times. There is plenty of room for all the basics and I was able to keep the weight down to about 20 pounds, so it was easy enough to carry at distance if I needed to leave the car behind.

What do you keep your water in, in the Pygmy? Regular water bottle or do you have it in a larger reusable water bottle?

What do you keep your water in, in the Pygmy? Regular water bottle or do you have it in a larger reusable water bottle?

It has two draw string pouches on the left and right sides. They are designed to carry Nalgene water bottles, 1 liter size. The Camelbak's have the water bladder reservoirs in a built in pocket.

Thats it, Nalgene. I didn't know what they were called. Right. How do you keep the water in there fresh? Change it out ever couple of days or do those bottles keep the water for a while?

IF your going to get one, IMHO< I think a non-military looking one is best for a BOB. If your already at your BO Location then camo is great but I think just plain black is a wise move. Mine on the outside looks like a camping bag. Less attention, less 'tactical'. is probably less interesting to an observer.

Back
Top Bottom