• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bluegill Feed for 5 Acre Pond

With a 5 acre pond, populated since the 60s, why would you need supplemental feeding? Wouldn’t you pond be stabilized after 60 years. I thought the purpose of the feeding would be would be For starting a pond before it’s develops it’s own sustainable ecosystem or for quicker growth of large predatory.
Unless you set up a feeding circle and like to watch them feed. Not questioning what your doing, thought about putting in a pond and have thought about how I would stock it and get it sustainable.

Pond hasn't been managed in a long time and I'm the new sheriff in town so to speak. The goal is to get the bluegill, which is the only real forage species in the pond, to get bigger faster which means they lay exponentially more eggs resulting in more fry and minnows for the overpopulated bass to eat, and at the same time taking out smaller bass, and all crappie that were unfortunately stocked. I also enjoy catching 10+ inch bluegill more than just about anything in freshwater, though it feels like cheating now because they follow me around the pond.

This stuff is the bomb. FRM in Bainbridge ga.

I tried out the Purina Sport Fish I think it is called. It has small and medium pellets, and also about 50% of it is sinking, so it seems to be a suitable replacement for the Sportsman's Choice that I still can't find. Slightly less protein in the Purina. But this Purina still isn't carried in my local TSC, (catfish yes, sport fish no) I still have to order it shipped to store.

Back
Top Bottom