• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blackhawk Restyle

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
For starters ita 3 screw (1967). Don't wanna hear it. Fellers hadda chance to get it and didn't roll in. So. Perfect bore. Tight. Converted to Transfer bar but w/o original parts. Poorly refinished and undersized grips. Some cosmetic wear. No box. No papers.

The plan

1. New front sight. Either Rocky Mtn or Orange Fiber optic bead.

2. 5" barrel with Sight relocated. Not sure if we'll use Rugers base.

3. Looking at Brass Birds Head or Colt lightning grip.

4. Polish and blue.

5. Increase ejector stroke to push out 357 mags fully.

6. Springs and/or trigger work.

For starters ita 3 screw (1967). Don't wanna hear it. Fellers hadda chance to get it and didn't roll in. So. Perfect bore. Tight. Converted to Transfer bar but w/o original parts. Poorly refinished and undersized grips. Some cosmetic wear. No box. No papers.

The plan

1. New front sight. Either Rocky Mtn or Orange Fiber optic bead.

2. 5" barrel with Sight relocated. Not sure if we'll use Rugers base.

3. Looking at Brass Birds Head or Colt lightning grip.

4. Polish and blue.

5. Increase ejector stroke to push out 357 mags fully.

6. Springs and/or trigger work.

Ah! I didnt see an ad for a three screw. I've been hunting one. Either way looking forward to seeing this one! I have alot of appreciation for the blackhawks as it is. Im sure your work on this one will make it awesome.

Ruger Blackhawk front sights are Butt Ugly. Momma Ruger spared no expense nor effort to ensure the installation of the dayumdest ugly block of steel ever installated on a fine firearm.

Good Golly, what was Ol Bill drinkin? Built all square and blocky on a gun that has some pleasing curves.....lets fix it.

i.imgur.com_7JUXtN8.jpg

File away the front sight blade.....make a flat that will be rounded over later. Find a round file and take off the sharp edges and scallop them ala Muzzleloader lock panels......get out the Muzzleloader dovetailing jig (see Marlin Marauder and other threads of mine for use of the jig) and make a nice 3/8" dovetail 1/10" deep in the remaining bit of the ruger ramp and for now...install a nice Rocky Mountain German Silver blade from a 120 year old rifle. (Might swap this for an orange glow dot......opinions?)

Now we got a windage adjustable front sight and I can even change styles of front sight at will. (Needs some trimming and contouring, but that'll be later......)

i.imgur.com_BYG7qr8.jpg

And finally, file a groove in both sides of the German Silver blade in order to create a Dot on the top instead of a single thick blade....when ya look down, the dot is visible sorta floating above the ramp and base.

i.imgur.com_hXLqTkG.jpg

And then? Well, gotta look at it with an orange dot too before going final......then finalize shape and polish and sweat the base off the barrel, trim things back to an all states legal to hunt with 5" long and sweat the assembly back on just behind the soon to be new muzzle.

I like the blade idea by itself. While being more practical for use, a big orange dot would draw the eye away from the such a sleek good looking gun.

I guess it its gonna to be shot and used alot, then I would use the orange dot.But if its a safe queen, I would go without.

I'm kina likin the long silvery look on the ramp.....with the possibility of a lightning or birdshead grip, I'm thinkin an orange dot is gonna be a bit outta place.

I like the old school look of the front blade, once trimmed, polished a bit and blued it will accent the nice lines of the old 3 screw, all clicks where they should SA. A gold bead/dot inlay if anything but no orange dot as you mention will not look right.

The frame I'd farm out and have color case hardening. I'd do a 800-1000 grit finish for a glossy final blue for the cylinder, loading gate, trigger and barrel/shroud. But a satin rust blue would be very handsome as well.

Brass for the grip, swapping it for the factory aluminum would be very handsome and fitting for this fine revolver. I'd have to think a bit to decide on which one.

The grips a dark stained curly maple with Ruger medallions would be sharp. I have the Wolff spring set in several Ruger revolvers that reduce pull weight and are inexpensive.

Grip ordered. Back down to the shop to work on the front sight shape,,,,,,needs to be more pleasing to the eye!

Stock photo of the 1877 Colt Lightning Grip for the Ruger frame. Hope it comes fast and looks as good!

i.imgur.com_DsG5uTH.jpg

The sight is much wider than the .375" wide base. Equal amounts, about .1" are marked off of each wing to bring the dovetail down to just a scooch wider than the base...allows some windage adjustment w/o uncovering the base. Here cold blued and scribed with the calipers....off to the bench for filing.

i.imgur.com_ehe3tCW.jpg

Squared off for now....at the finish, edges will be rounded, above and around so there are no sharp edges....right now its all pretty much ground and filed to razor sharp edges.

i.imgur.com_3bFboqG.jpg

From the rear, got some more file work to do to skinny down the dovetail base and make it look less squat, more...hmmmm, graceful?

i.imgur.com_XzPgcZA.jpg

Small increments make a big difference in looks....ignoring the tail of the ramp for now and focusing on the right side of the dovetail......a bit more curve inward, 5 minutes work with a round file and a much more pleasing shape to the front sight....looking taller and less squat.

i.imgur.com_xrleYRD.jpg

From the back....left is uncut, right is about 80% dished....

i.imgur.com_xGY9FTm.jpg

From the front, left is 80% dished and right remains uncut....

i.imgur.com_xBVWMv4.jpg

Quartering shot, the sight dovetail now mimics the shape of the base.....both about 80% shaped...

i.imgur.com_MnRGd2M.jpg

As you can see on the uncut side, the shape of the sight does not very well mimic the shape of the base.

i.imgur.com_WXhspRa.jpg

Looking down barrel, the uncut side looks very heavy compared to the near finished right side of the dovetail.

i.imgur.com_QqEymvh.jpg

i.imgur.com_UyOFSx2.jpg

i.imgur.com_U9YVRil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom