• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Black powder only revolver

ckarr

Bear Icon
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
My father in law just received an old 44 cal black powder only revolver with no markings or any manufacturer. It just says cal.44 and "black powder only". How do you go about dating these or finding out information? He went ahead and locked it up so I will post pictures later

I also meant to add there was no serial number on it until a family friend had one added to have it registered and insured. They acted funny like they didnt want to give details or either weren't really sure the full details themselves but I did hear them ask if he wanted to know what it appraised for. I'm very curious! I promise pictures will come today

Was told today that it has been passed down in the family. They say.... after the colt factory burned down the government started having these made by remington on the civil war era.... what's yalls thoughts.
20181225_124535.jpg
20181225_124535.jpg
20181225_124535.jpg
20181225_124535.jpg
20181225_124544.jpg

Attachments

• 20181225_124625.jpg
    20181225_124625.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 20

Attachments

• 20181225_124625.jpg
    20181225_124625.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 16
I'm no expert on these, but it "looks like" one of those Italian or Spanish-made replica guns that have been sold, cheap, since at least the late 1970s when I was a kid. My dad's friend bought some in the 1970s and Dad and I got to shoot them in the early 1980s. Quite functional. Deadly. Unregistered, no paperwork to buy new from an FFL, since they're not "firearms." They are antique per federal law, even if they're newly-made, because they use black powder and not in any assembled cartridge.

I'm no expert on these, but it "looks like" one of those Italian or Spanish-made replica guns that have been sold, cheap, since at least the late 1970s when I was a kid. My dad's friend bought some in the 1970s and Dad and I got to shoot them in the early 1980s. Quite functional. Deadly. Unregistered, no paperwork to buy new from an FFL, since they're not "firearms." They are antique per federal law, even if they're newly-made, because they use black powder and not in any assembled cartridge.

I'd think this is correct. There wasn't anything but black powder when the originals were made. Not sure Remington made any brass frames ?

If marked black powder only, it is a modern reproduction.

The quality ranges from dangerous to very good, depending on materials and manufacturer.

Value is as a family gun.

Thanks for the info. I read on NRA website if it says black powder only or made in Italy either or it could be real. Who knows probably. No telling how long its really been in the family. I would like to know who was slobbering over it and why. Either way it's my father in laws so I would never tell him if it were a replica or not! Like you said he loves and it's fun to look at!

Back
Top Bottom