• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bird Watchers

Cobalt 60 i am still thinking the one bird is a Summer Tanager and not a House Finch. The picture makes the lower half very faded but the wing portion is the only part of the bird that is a light brown. Everything else is a pale red.
View attachment 282399

EDIT The beak definitely looks more house finch but man the house finch pictures online do not show nearly as much red as the one in the yard.

View attachment 282400

It is possible, but the beak appears to be the big conical beak of a finch, which is a seed eater. Tanangers are insect eaters primarily and have a slightly less robust beak.

One revision - what I thought was a nuthatch is actually a Chipping Sparrow.

Those are definitely chipping sparrows. I have got a ton of them and they are the little jerks that knocked all my mixed seed onto the ground for everyone else to eat off the ground. When i put the mixed seed in the sparrows had an inch or more layer of millet and nyjer seed on the ground.

Those are definitely chipping sparrows. I have got a ton of them and they are the little jerks that knocked all my mixed seed onto the ground for everyone else to eat off the ground. When i put the mixed seed in the sparrows had an inch or more layer of millet and nyjer seed on the ground.

Yeah - everybody but the Dove throw the millet out!!

I've never even seen a dove land on my feeders. The sparrows keep the ground well stocked. I did find a chipmunk eating some seed today and watched him run into his burrow probably 10 feet from my feeders.

Nice, I used to enjoy it as well, Had a very similar set up. Had to stop because it caused a huge rat problem. They got into my attic and caused $1200.00 damage to my wife's Audi by eating wiring harnesses. Keep an eye out but enjoy.

^this.

i work in pest control and I'd bet that at least 75% of the rodent issues are caused by feeding the birds. If you are going to feed the birds I'd definitely recommend a serious bait program for rodents. 1200 bucks to repair ain't that bad. Roof rats moving inside your walls is a pita. Especially coming into the warm season. They stink and rot in the walls when they die in there.

I was telling the wife earlier i will probably be looking into setting some traps in the attic just as preventative maintenance and so that when they do begin to appear i will know early on.

Back
Top Bottom