• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bird Watchers

CliffB

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
So i've recently learned to enjoy what i've got at home instead of going out looking for fun stuff to do that cost money. Anyways i've recently added a black oil sunflower seed feeder, a suet cake feeder and a hummingbird feeder to my yard. So far i have identified male and female cardinals, chickadees, mourning doves and what appears to be a scarlet tanager and possibly house wrens? Any help here would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0050[2].jpg
    IMG_0050[2].jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0052[1].jpg
    IMG_0052[1].jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0062[1].jpg
    IMG_0062[1].jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0074[1].jpg
    IMG_0074[1].jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0077[1].jpg
    IMG_0077[1].jpg
    45 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0098[1].jpg
    IMG_0098[1].jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0099[1].jpg
    IMG_0099[1].jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 29
Nice, I used to enjoy it as well, Had a very similar set up. Had to stop because it caused a huge rat problem. They got into my attic and caused $1200.00 damage to my wife's Audi by eating wiring harnesses. Keep an eye out but enjoy.

I love watching birds! I have three sets of doves that have been in my yard for a couple of years now. I guess the doves are my favorites also. My biggest problem is the dang squirrels that seem to get to my seed no matter what feeder I use! They keep more seed on the ground than I can keep in the feeders!

IMG_0070[1].jpgIMG_0088[1].jpg

These are my 2 squirrel deterrents. It was kind of a waterfall effect, i bought the one feeder, a month later i bought the next then a few days later i bought the hummingbird feeder. Now i am beginning my search for a bird bath. I am about to have a little girl and i think it will be fun to sit in the back yard with her and watch birds hop and flit around the yard. So far at one time i have seen 5 or 6 mourning doves, 4 or 5 male cardinals, 3 or 4 female cardinals, 1 scarlet tanager and countless chickadees and what i assume are wrens. I am going to play around with the suet cake to see if i can get something new in the yard.

In order:

Female Cardinal
Male Cardinal
Male Cardinal
House Finch - male
House Finch - male
Appears to be a Brown Headed Nuthatch
Carolina Chickadee

Pick up a Petersen's Field Guide. Easiest to use quickly. The pictures in the Sibley guide are better, but I find it not as easy to find what you are looking for quickly.

I love watching birds! I have three sets of doves that have been in my yard for a couple of years now. I guess the doves are my favorites also. My biggest problem is the dang squirrels that seem to get to my seed no matter what feeder I use! They keep more seed on the ground than I can keep in the feeders!

i find a 22lr works well for defending your property from unwanted intruders of all sizes, or just put out cages with bird seed in it and the squirrels will set if off and trap themselves in so you can move them somewhere....i prefer the 22lr solution lol

I live in a neighborhood so a pellet gun is my first choice but my other neighbor also uses a shotgun for his rabbit problem he was having last summer. I work at TSC so i have customers come in constantly talking about their birds in their yard so i wanted to jump in on it. The guides we sell are pretty detailed but for a novice like myself they are still tricky to read.

Cobalt 60 i am still thinking the one bird is a Summer Tanager and not a House Finch. The picture makes the lower half very faded but the wing portion is the only part of the bird that is a light brown. Everything else is a pale red.
tanager.jpg

EDIT The beak definitely looks more house finch but man the house finch pictures online do not show nearly as much red as the one in the yard.

House_Finch.jpg

Last edited:
I live in a neighborhood so a pellet gun is my first choice but my other neighbor also uses a shotgun for his rabbit problem he was having last summer. I work at TSC so i have customers come in constantly talking about their birds in their yard so i wanted to jump in on it. The guides we sell are pretty detailed but for a novice like myself they are still tricky to read.

we got orioles, cardinals, blue jays, doves,wood peckers(i did not expect to see 1 of those) and thrashers. and they aren't afraid of me even though sometimes my rifle is loud when being fired back there so i cna sit outside and stare at them eat.

i find the pairs/mates to be interesting such as when the female cardinal is eating the male cardinal will chase off all the other birds that try to eat there. and the humming birds like the walmart food but disfavor the tsc humming bird mix

Back
Top Bottom