Best red dot for under $100?

thegiantmidget

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
113   0
Reaction score
Sold my A2 upper. Bought a BCM 20" Government profile A4 upper. My gun fund is pretty much tapped. What is an all-around good electronic sight I can pick up for $100.00 or less? I would also like some feedback on why sights without magnification are preferred to red dot type optics with magnification. I may be interested in 1.5-2X magnification if that exists in an affordable, quality package. I am also concerned with battery life / cost long term. I seem to recall seeing an electronic sight with a red illuminated reticle when on, and a black static reticle when off. Would that be a good way to go if most of my shooting is going to be done during the day? I will insist on having iron sights as a backup as this is my primary defensive firearm. Co-wittness would be a plus, obviously.

Save for an aimpoint. You will be disappointed with everything else. Optics are a bad place to save money. Get a solid optic and a solid mount. Just out of curiosity, why not look a a 1x4 scope? The millett is nice and about 200$ The leatherwood Hi lux is another good option. PEPR mount is solid you can get the throw levers for the mount and you will have instant access to your back ups.

Save up for an Aimpoint. Red dots for under a $100 are junk, even more so when compared to an Aimpoint. You can get a used Aimpoint for under $300 if you look, knew a guy who was selling ML2s new for $250. After you get the Aimpoint invest in a Larue mount and call it a day. While you are going to spend more in the short run in the long run you will spend money and hassle since you won't have to fight with cheap junk trying to get it to work and hold its zero.

I can agree with saving..I've had the cheap ones and I have an Aimpoint now and lemme tell ya..it's night and day between the two. You can just tell by holding and playing with them that the cheap ones are..well cheap. The Aimpoint just feels like it's built so much better, plus the battery lives you get out of the more expensive optics are miles better than that of the cheaper ones.

Shoot Irons, save cash and spend it on ammo instead

Irons for sure have their place and should never be skimped on, but Irons are a HUGE set back in low light to at night time in my experience, maybe I am just not as proficient with them as I should be, I just cant see the buggards when it starts to get dark....A red dot of some sort is invaluable if you ever go shooting around astronomical twilight or nighttime.

I've been surprisingly happy with my cheap Primary Arms red dot. I know it won't ever be as good as a real Aimpoint, but it works for my purposes (occasional informal range use) and their customer service has been great.

Save for an aimpoint. You will be disappointed with everything else. Optics are a bad place to save money. Get a solid optic and a solid mount. Just out of curiosity, why not look a a 1x4 scope? The millett is nice and about 200$ The leatherwood Hi lux is another good option. PEPR mount is solid you can get the throw levers for the mount and you will have instant access to your back ups.

Yeah that Hi-lux CMR is very nice I had one for a good while. Once you get used to the reticle and having to range targets by width and not height you can use it very quickly....Only thing though to me at least, that 30mm scope was heavy.

Back
Top Bottom