• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Best powder for accuracy. 223. I want something I can find.

Olddude

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
73   0
Reaction score
I have been using IMR 3031. 55 grain bullet. I have no problem with this but I am having trouble finding it. There might be better powder for this but it is ok and I am running short. I need suggestions on something that is reasonably plentiful and I can work up a good load. Thanks !

Have you looked at favorite loads posted at Handloader.com?

Both of my currently, as well as every one that I have ever owned were better shooters than I am; even with crap (Wolf / Tula) ammo.
I PERSONALLY like the mil-surplus version of BLC(2) ... when it can be found, it is quite inexpensive. AND, I believe that by this Fall, we will see
reloading components both plentiful and reasonably priced.

For those interested, check out this link (and drool over the pre-panic prices!!!)

http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/wc-846-loads

Another Cumming, GA neighbor has a strong attraction towards CFE223

Last edited:
Anything .223 related is going to be hard to find.

For all of my .223/5.56 stuff, I've been having really good luck with IMR 8208-XBR.

Some others to look at:
Benchmark
TAC
AR-Comp
AA2230
Varget
H335 and BLC-2 - not the most accurate, but consistently good across many bullet types

Reloader 15 delivers excellent accuracy and meters well for a non spherical powder.

For accuracy the above mentioned W748 is likely the best spherical powder I've used.

For me H322 has become a favorite in the AR's. It doesn't deliver top velocities in the .223, but the accuracy has been exceptional. It works magic for the 6.8 too.

I use BL(c)-2, as well. It does not seem to work exceptionally well for accuracy or velocity. But, it meters well and will work in almost any caliber.

I have read that it works well with 75 grain bullets, but I use the 55 grain FMJs.

I'm a big fan of AA2230. I use it for .223 and 6.8. Excellent accuracy. I was doing some testing yesterday on some loads using a Sierra Gameking 65gr SP. I plan on taking a deer with the .223 this fall. I found 26gr had a nice tight group and according to the books it would be somewhere around 2950 fps.

Back
Top Bottom