• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best FFL for shipping to an out of state FFL in Private Sale?

J. Gore

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
20   0
Reaction score
Hello! Looking for recommendations on which FFLs in the Metro Atlanta area are gonna be least expensive in terms of shipping my Albanian SKS to an FFL in Kentucky. The buyer’s FFL requires in come from an FFL, but he wasn’t really expecting to cover the $55 transfer fee out (from Stoddard’s, Chuck’s wanted over $100 for packaging and transfer) before shipping. As the seller I do not feel I should be liable for fees associated with shipping as I made it clear the buyer would be expected to cover them in my Armslist post, and will already be covering packaging costs (plus I’ve put in some time calling around to different FFLs and I’ll be having to drive a fair bit to any FFLs that’re further out that Stoddard’s). I offered to cover half the $55 fee from Stoddard’s, but figure there’s probably somewhere better. Thankfully the buyer’s being cool about it, I’d just like to save him the money if possible. Ideally I’d ship it out tomorrow. Basically just wondering if you guys have any good FFL recs here based on experience, or know any home FFLs that could be helpful here.

Oh, and pack your gun yourself the way YOU'D expect to receive one mailed to you.

Otherwise, prepare for issuing refunds and listening to whining.
Absolutely. I’ll be sending a video of it being packaged and sealed before I ship it out. Thankfully he’s cool with just sending the money via Zelle so chargeback problems shouldn’t be an issue.

Do you recommend only sending to FFLs that accept shipments to individuals to avoid confusing on sending fees, or are there more reasons? I’ve always stuck to local deals wherever I’ve lived to avoid this, I really don’t have any experience shipping.

Really appreciate the advice

Absolutely. I’ll be sending a video of it being packaged and sealed before I ship it out. Thankfully he’s cool with just sending the money via Zelle so chargeback problems shouldn’t be an issue.

Do you recommend only sending to FFLs that accept shipments to individuals to avoid confusing on sending fees, or are there more reasons? I’ve always stuck to local deals wherever I’ve lived to avoid this, I really don’t have any experience shipping.

Really appreciate the advice
If handguns you'll need to use a common carrier like UPS or FedEx. Overnight usually required. Charge your buyer the $50 or so. I usually pay the insurance myself. Long guns or receivers can go USPS with tracking. I use Priority Mail. I require the buyer to have a receiving FFL that will a.) supply a file copy of their FFL and b.) they must agree to receive guns from private individuals. Rarely do I have to contact an FFL to find this out. Most buyers know this about their receiving FFL.

Back
Top Bottom